Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Adding time release fertilizer to potting mix.

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Marni, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I would be interested in hearing anyone's experiences with adding a time released fertilizer into potting mixes (or on top of the pot). Such as what genera you have done it with and what amount you used. If it is top dressing, what amount do you use for a given pot size.

2. abaxter

abaxter New Member

The one I use and can't recall the name at the moment has a measuring spoon in the jar
    and instructions on pot size on the back. Osmocote...finally remembered the name.
    Getting old is hell on the memory. I used it on Catts. primarily as a top dressing. I
    couldn't tell any difference or improvement in the plants and stopped using it.

3. Dale

Dale New Member

I sprinkle granular 16-16-16 on the potting soil of my Pleione formosana when they start growing. I add more about half way through their growing cycle. Rate is c. 1 teaspoon per 6" pot.

4. Chris

Chris New Member

All of my species Cattleyas are potted in styro peanuts/NZ sphag. I use Dynamite generously in their pots and so far have nothing but positive things to say. New growths are healthy and strong even on weaker plants or newer divisions.

5. Dave

Dave Active Member Supporting Member

I'm planning on trying this this year, as soon as the plants go outside.

6. Marni

I'm not familiar with "Dynamite", what is it?

7. Chris

Chris New Member

8. Marni

Angela, I tried Thanks for the link and the recommendation, Chris.

Dale, I'm looking in to this because of you and your HUGE Pl. formosanum pseudobulbs. Do you know the brand name on yours?

Interesting link, Chris. I'll try some.

9. Pook

Pook Disneyed

It's my understanding that Osmocote isn't as much time released as it is heat released. And that Nutricote and Dynamite, which I get at HD, actually are time released and therefore better. But I've only used them on houseplants and not orchids.

10. Marni

I had heard the Nutricote was better than Osmocote also, but didn't know the reason. I did locate a reasonably priced source for Nutricote, but just got an email this morning that they are temporarily out of stock.

11. Aceetobe

Aceetobe Member

My only solution to my catasetum feeding dilemna was time release fertilizer. I have a wide variety of fertilizer needs for my plants, and the Catasetums feed much heavier than everything else. The two crappy choices were underfeeding the Catasetums or burning everything else.

So - I fert at my usual dilute rate, and the Catasetums get the extra boost with the time release. I'm still in the midst of tuning exactly how much to add.

12. This_guy_Bri

This_guy_Bri weirdo

THIS MAY NOT BE TRUE but i'm not sure if nutricote will totally dissolve/disappear over time whereas osmocote does not. my understanding of the way osmocote distributes its nutrients is the same as Pook's, more based on temperature more than time....

13. Dale

Dale New Member

Marni, the 16-16-16 is bulk fertilizer formulated for the cranberry industry here. It's produced by Woodburn Fertilizer and sold to me by my fertilizer/pesticide dealer. I buy about 3000# a year and can probably spare a little.

14. Marni

Dale, you did give me a sample, I still have it. Did I use it? Not yet.:eek: Do you use it only once per season?

15. Kitty

Kitty AKA\Debby

dynamite

I've used the dynamite 13-13-13 for year's, I've tried different applacations, what I do now is add it only when I repot which I do often. The dynamite come's as little sliver ball's, what I don't like is that when the ball's are empty of fertalizer they are still there, giving the false impression of still having fert. Plus I just don't like seeing those non organic ball's!!! It's a 6 month time release,when I repot I use a little less than the recomended amount, and camouflage it in the top inch of medium. I use it as a supplement to regular fertilzing habit's, not as a substitute. I feel good knowing they are getting a little something extra, at least for 6 months, I've never had any problem with it burning or being too harsh...that I'am aware of.:eek:

16. Dale

Dale New Member

I put it on the pleiones at the advent of new growth and again around June.

17. Kitty

Kitty AKA\Debby

arsenic in the water

has anyone heard anything about the effect's of high level's of arsenic in well water on orchids? They use the water on the yard with no ill effect's, but the level of arsenic is 10 time's what is consedered safe for human's. they are looking into putting in an orchid grnhs.:confused:

18. Kitty

Kitty AKA\Debby

sorry I put this in the wrong place, I'll try again.