Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Advanced Nutrients - Iguana Juice

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by piece, Sep 17, 2016.

1. piece

piece New Member

2. Juliet O

Juliet O New Member

Never tried it, but I checked out the link and couldn't see any ingredients or nutrient info listed. I'd probably just stick with a standard MSU formula first rays.com or repotme.com both have one.

piece and Marni like this.
  3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

The total lack of information about the ingredients or the percentages of nutrients is rather odd.

Juliet O likes this.
  4. MikeInOz

MikeInOz Active Member

So is this blended iguana or what? :p

5. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

Iguana guano?

piece likes this.
  6. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

piece likes this.
  7. carl

carl Active Member

Some kind of snake oil, probably.

piece likes this.
  8. czpana

czpana Member

This is for growing the other tomato [emoji12]

piece likes this.
  9. piece

piece New Member

Yes I agree there is lack of information. But its an organic fertilizer wich contain different types of guano, worm castings, bat castings, fish base, krill extract, yucca extract, kelp meal, alfalfa extract and volcanic ash - if I may believe there claims- and there is a grow (3-1-3) and a bloom (4-3-6)

Indeed it is meant for growing "the other tomato" but since here in Holland the other tomato is very popular it is easy to obtain :)

Thanks for the link to the analysis!
    I am using rain water and I am about to install a RO filter on my tap water so why it is not good for using RO?

10. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

That is yet another concoction thrown at cannabis growers, who are apparently bigger suckers to pseudo-science and nutrient/additive claims than are orchid growers.

I think the folks at RepotMe must think orchid growers are idiots, too. Their version of MSU is labeled with the same formula as mine, except that the stuff I sell is 2# of powder for $12.50, while theirs is 1# of that powder diluted to one quart volume with water. In the first place, their labeling is, therefore, illegal, and secondly, you're paying to ship water.

Third, comparing "bang for the buck," their quart of product gives you 32 gallons of 125 ppm N final solution ($0.43+ per gallon), while the 2 # jar of powder will make about 250 gallons of the same solution, at a fraction less that $0.05/gallon.

11. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

:D Yes, most times when a product talks about increasing bud size they aren't talking about roses :D

piece likes this.
  12. Juliet O

Juliet O New Member

When you use RO or distilled water, you have to provide every macro and micro nutrient the plant needs. Many fertilizers just provide the macro (nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium) , but not the micro (magnesium, copper, boron, ect).

piece likes this.
  13. Ray

Both the MSU RO formula and K-Lite cover all the nutrient needs.

piece likes this.
  14. Latouria Lover

Latouria Lover New Member

Actually RepotMe does not put the concentration on the label of the liquid MSU formula. You have to go to their website and look it up. I hope Repotme does not think of me as an idiot. They have given me good customer service and have products that I can't anywhere else. As far as paying to ship water there isn't much difference between that and paying to ship a product (Biosafe) that is less than 0.2% hydrogen peroxide and the rest is water - what kind of idiot would pay over $11 for that (not counting shipping) when you can buy a quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide for less than a dollar at any grocery store.

piece likes this.
  15. Ray

I'm sorry you don't appreciate my negative comments about RepotMe (I'm not alone in that opinion, by the way), and I have never purchased their fertilizer solutions, so thanks for correcting me on that. However, not labeling the product is illegal, too. Your assessment of hydrogen peroxide products is incorrect, however.

Drugstore hydrogen peroxide is stabilized with a small amount of stannous chloride, to keep it from decomposing in the bottle. The moment it comes into contact with an organic material or a metal, it decomposes almost instantly, leaving a puddle of water in which new mold spores or bacteria can find a home.

The Biosafe product, by comparison, is stabilized with perchloroacetic acid, and that renders the peroxide chemically active until it is dry, making it - unlike the other product - 1) more effective, and 2) totally non-phytotoxic.

piece and Juliet O like this.
  16. piece

piece New Member

Finally I made a choise and I bought a powder called Rain Mix Akerne Orchids: RAIN MIX ®
    I will also buy Aptus Regulator 50 ml.Aptus Regular which is a silicon additive like Pro-Tekt from Dyna Grow.

Anyone thinks it's useful to use a root stimulator like Rhisotonic CANNA USA?

Thanks for all the advices everyone!