Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Afternoon everyone!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Debra the Bee, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Debra the Bee

Debra the Bee New Member

Joining another orchid board cause I just can't get enough information (lol). Seriously, I just love the friendliness of orchid people. Besides that, I need all the help I can get!!! My faves so far (cause I can get them to bloom) are the mini dendrobiums. They last forever! But if they do drop their flowers, it isn't long before another stalk is noticed. But I'm trying MANY varieties. I seem to have almost NO luck with Phrags and Paphs, altho' I still have a few alive. I'd love to know a trick or two about masd. cause I ended up with SEVERAL after the Chicago orchid show last winter (have killed several already). I'm almost starting terrestrial orchids and am very intrigued by them. I'd love to find where I can buy some that will survive a Chicago winter. Den convolutum.jpg

2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Hi Debra. Welcome to Orchids Forum.

I agree that mini Dendrobiums are "the best".

3. Kipper

Kipper CoffeeCoffeeCoffee... Supporting Member

Hi Debra, Welcome! You have picked the right place to ask the "smart guys". The people on this forum are great and they Know Everything! I am fairly new to this also and have received excellent answers to every question I have had so far. Try this website if you would like to try terrestrials in Chicago. http://www.vtladyslipper.com/vtlscwebpg2.html You should have luck with their Cyps. I live in Texas so Masdevallias quiver in fear when I'm around so I have to enjoy the photographs. Best, Kip

P.S. Do a lot of lurking on the old posts. There's a lot of great photos and info there too...

4. Dave The Scientist

Dave The Scientist Active Member

I have not grown many Masdies but I think most people struggle to keep them cool and humid enough. I think terrarium growing is probably best for them. If you like Pleurothallids, I find Restrepia to be much less fussy genus.