Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Aloha and help IDing an Encyclia

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kaloman, May 31, 2019.

1. Kaloman

Kaloman New Member

aloha, I’m a very amateur orchid grower in Hawai’i and got a mystery orchid at a sale which just bloomed. Any help with ID would be great.
    Mahalo!

Attached Files:

2. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

:) Welcome. Your encyclia (I hope I'm not mistaken it) is very beautiful. Is it fragrant?

3. JPM

JPM New Member

Greetings from Florida! My first thought, on looking at the photo of your mystery Encyclia, was that it was likely a Brazilian plant-- perhaps form of Enc. osmantha --or Enc. naranjapatensis, from the Andes-- the rather spatulate tepals and the way the petals are a bit closer to the lateral sepals than the dorsal one strengthens the Brazilian impression. But then those quite large, and spreading, rather than involute, lateral lobes of the lip-- they make me wonder if it is not either an albescent (and rather fine!) form of Enc. alata, or a new species closely related to it. Are the flowers strongly fragrant? At midday, morning, or afternoon? What is the fragrance like-- honey, violets, roses, tea, or something else? (There is a wide range of scents in the genus-- I once had a clone of E. alata whose flowers had a strong scent I only can describe as "new car smell"!) How large are the flowers? (Enc. alata has large flowers for the genus-- two inches and a bit more-- and Enc. osmantha's blooms are also large, about 2 inches or so-- but those of Enc. naranapatensis are smaller, just over an inch.) Did the seller have any idea of the source of the plant? Is it a large plant, or compact? How many leaves per pseudobulb? (Most Encyclias have 1-2 but some have 3.) Are the pseudobulbs longer and more conical or shorter and more onion or egg-shaped? The inflorescence is clearly paniculate in your photo. All of these traits can help identify the plant. But an idea of where it came from (assuming it is a species and not a hybrid) would be very important in zeroing in on the identification. Well, best of luck, and I hope you will come to be an Encyclia enthiusast like me! (Encyclia in the broadest sense-- sensu latu, so to put it-- including Anacheilium, Prosthechea, Euchile, Pollardia and related genera like Psychilis…) Best of luck!