Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Anyone here bake?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by xmpraedicta, Aug 30, 2015.

1. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

Totally random off-topic, but I've been working on laminated pastry dough over the last few months. There are still some issues in my technique, but pounds of butter and flour later, I think I'm finally getting close!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

annabanana1987 likes this.
  2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

That looks really delicious!!! Fluffy and perfectly cooked.

My wife bakes but I have become very proficient at eating :)

3. rico

rico Active Member

I do bake a little. I was inspired by watching the Great British Baking show. It is a great show with great recipes, and the judges are nice. They don't scream and cuss at the contestants *Chef Ramsey* :laughing:. Yours looks really nice too, like something from the show!

4. xmpraedicta

Thanks you two! I wish I could share them with you because all my experiments have resulted in more than I can eat. Rico - I watch Masterchef Australia because it's actually good, the judges are nice and the contestants are amicable. Gordon Ramsey screaming at people who are overly dramatic and competitive in Masterchef USA is such a turn off. I'll have to check out GBB show.

5. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Looks amazing, Calvin! I'm also into cooking, but baking, where you can't adjust as you go, is too difficult for me, so baking is usually done by my wife. We are blown away by the no-knead style bread this year. It is complete opposite of your amazingly looking bread. We were introduced to it by Cook's Illustrated, but we got this book recently:

Everything comes out really great. It is amazing how different ways to make bread can make such huge differences. I guess that's because we are dealing with living organisms (yeast).

6. xmpraedicta

Naoki I absolutely agree! I've read on some forums the detail people go into feeding their sourdoughs and cultivating subtle flavours in their breads and it's quite amazing.

7. Torrish

Torrish Active Member

I love to cook but baking so far has come under the heading of witch craft. All credit to you.

annabanana1987 likes this.
  8. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Here is my only entry of baked stuff. My 3-year old son didn't know what Anpan (of Anpan-man) is, so we made it for the New years day, 2015. Anpan is Japanese sweet bread stuffed with sweet red bean paste (called Anko in Japanese). I had to make the Anko from scratch, but everything turned out to be much better than I expected, and we all liked it!

[​IMG]Anpan on Flickr

Hmmm, I noticed the link to a book in my post above is screwed up. The book that I was referring to is:

Jeff Hertzberg & Zoë François. 2013. The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking

9. xmpraedicta

Naoki those look scrumptious!