Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Are my seed pods ready?

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by The tomato, Feb 7, 2024.

1. The tomato

The tomato Member

i selfed my Chiloschista parishii a while back, the seed pods are now around 300 days old (i don’t know exactly) but they’re still skinny and green. Can anyone tell me of i can use these for green pod flasking? And does anyone have pictures of what the seed pods of this genus should look like when mature? And are tegse even self compatible? Thanks. 3D1B2ABE-C7FF-48F1-B849-76AF1F1704BE.jpeg 6B4E02F5-B16F-4726-A4DD-E0CE430472F5.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

The capsules in the genus are not fat, no matter how long they are on the plant. I don't have timing for parishii, but others species have germinated from 218 days on green capsule. Most species I've done around 250 days. At 160 and 185 days, I had no germination, but the from the same plant at 225 I have had good germination. I've had a couple that I let go beyone 300 days and they still looked the same. They had actually just dried on the plant and were like a shell. I did get germination when I sowed the seed dry. I have notes on 270 days and 295 days were the seed tapped out of the capsule and was fully mature.

I say it is ready!

Arne and The tomato like this.
  3. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

I will defer to Marni, as I have no familiarity with the "norms" for the genus, but my general go-to is to wait for either end to begin to yellow, as that's an indication that dehiscing is imminent.

The tomato and Marni like this.
  4. Arne

Arne Active Member

That is the most professional reply I've ever seen in an orchid forum!

The tomato and Marni like this.
  5. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Checking for yellowing is generally accepted advice. That works for lot of things, but bitter personal experience has taught me that it is not a sure thing. I also check the firmness of the capsule. Sometimes it starts to have some "give" before it will dehisce. I first learned that yellow is not a prerequisite to opening. I made an outcross of Dendrobium vexillarius that I really wanted to get in flask. It was close to the time I thought it should be getting ready and I was checking it first thing every day so I could catch it. I looked one day and it was green and hard. I looked the next day and it was open and had spilled everything.