Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bayer 3 in 1

Discussion in 'Issues, Disease and Pests' started by Sand, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Sand

Sand New Member

Hello all;

I have been seeing many recommendations for Bayer 3 in 1 for treating various pests. I struggle constantly with mealybug and some occasional scale. Not a big infestation, but just a constant presence.
    I am growing pleurothallis, restrepia, bulbphyllums and various miniature species.
    I currently use Azamax, which helps with spider mite, but it doesnt really seem to affect mealys. I do spot treat with alcohol, but that is time consuming and I miss some.

Has anyone had any issues with Bayer in terms of leaf/root damage on more tender varieties? I only spray anything in the evenings as well to avoid possible burning. Most of my plants are on mounts so they would get a root drench when I spray. Or is there a better product than Bayer?
    Thanks.

2. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

Safari works pretty well in knocking down populations.

There’s a new product someone was telling me about. “Distance” is a growth regulator.

Might be good to use in conjunction with your pesticide program.

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

If a product isn't working, time to switch to something different. Bayer 3 in 1 has been in wide use and quite likely resistance is a problem. Safari worked well when I had resistant mealybug. If you have wooden frames for your hanging plants, mealybud can hang out there and re-invest.

4. Sand

Sand New Member

Good info everyone. Thanks. Marni, having not used Bayer before would resistance still be an issue? I assume the resistance would be built in to the mealybug population in general. I have read about Safari as well. My real concern is plant sensitivity with either product.
    And yes Marni I do have wood frames which are great hiding places for all sorts of critters.

5. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Sand, I have found Azamax to be quite good for mealy bugs. How are you applying the stuff?

Three treatments (= wetting ALL plant surfaces and saturating the potting medium) at one-week intervals is my recommendation with ANY pesticide.

Saturating the potting medium is a key part of that, as the critters can populate the root system, as well as the leaves and stems.

weeand likes this.
  6. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

A lot of orchid growers (including me) have used Bayer 3 in 1 or many, many years. I know that 10 years ago I encountered mealybug that were immune to imidacloprid so switched to Safari. My plants are so densely packed that hitting all surfaces is impossible so I go with systemics. Chances are if you have mealy bug they came from somewhere else and may have come with built in resistance. I have a varied collection with plenty of sensitive species/genera and have not noticed any problems with Safari. But eveyone's conditions are different.

RustyExotics likes this.
  7. Sand

Sand New Member

This is all very good info. Ray; yes I do soak everything with Azamax when I use it. I think I am a bit timid in that when I used to use Neem, some plants reacted badly. I have never had issues with Azamax but I still hold back to some degree in terms of really drenching plants.
    Marni; a few years ago I had a terrible infestation of a kind of mealybug I had never seen that made huge colonies in the wood framing I used. I had never seen anything like it. It was horrible. Next to my balcony there is a podocarpus that sadly suffers from a bad infestation of whitefly that I have spent years trying to control. I had thought that was what was living in my frames, but figured out it was mealybug. I have since rebuilt my whole system but I agree with you the mealys came from somewhere else.
    I may try Bayer first as Safari is very expensive and I havent been able to find small amounts and my space is so small I need very little.
    You all are so great with sharing info. Thanks. I appreciate it.

8. carl

carl Active Member

I use Talstar P when plants are inside, which is a synthetic pyrethroid, and is effective on mealybugs, scale, mites, etc.

It's not a systemic, and the active ingredient is a waxy, white substance, apparently dispersed in water to form a thick suspension. It has no odor. Available on Amazon.