Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bulbo corolliferum spikes blasting

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by DukeBoxer, Dec 22, 2008.

1. DukeBoxer

DukeBoxer Active Member

Basically self explanatory, yet I can't explain why. The only thing I can think of is that maybe it's too cold for it. I don't think it gets much above 70 -75 during the day, and night temps are around 65 - 60...does that make them blast or is there something totally not apparent to me going on??? Thanks in advance

-Josh

2. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Your temperature is fine. How is the RH? How much/how close to light?

3. DukeBoxer

DukeBoxer Active Member

rh hovers around 70%, sometimes it dips to 65, but never below, sometimes it's over 90. The plant is about 8-10 inches away from a few 100 watt equivalent CFL's, also shaded by leaves from other plants. Could it be too much or too little water? It's planted in sphag in a basket and gets soaked once a week. Maybe it's drying out faster than I expected.

4. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The rh and light seem okay as well, so I have no idea why the spikes blasted.
    The other thing that I can think of is the air movement--some thin spikes can blast due to strong air movement.

5. Tom_in_PA

Tom_in_PA I am not an addict

Sorry josh I can't help but whe nyou figure it out let me know so I can make sure I don't do the same thing with mine when they get big enough to bloom ;)

6. Jon

Jon Mmmm... bulbophyllum...

Are they staying wet after you water? How long are they when they blast?

7. Lika[Sweden]

Lika[Sweden] Svenska

Is it the first time for the plant to flower? how many spikes was it?

I never had that problem with this species. But have had with some other. Especially for small plants, when there is the first flower of the year. 2:nd and 3rd spike has been ok.
    Linda

8. DukeBoxer

DukeBoxer Active Member

Jon, yeah, it stays wet after I water it. It's potted in moss in a basket. The spikes are about 1-2 inches when they blast, and now it's 2 spikes that have blasted. There are about 4 more still small so we'll have to see what happens with them. Lika, this is not the first time for the plant to flower, it flowered normal last year. It's weird that they have blasted, I've never had this problem before. My (superstitious) wife says it's because we look at it too much and that's why the die. Maybe I have the evil eye or something.