Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Coelogyne usitana

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Paganel, Dec 11, 2023.

1. Paganel

Paganel Member

All-year-round bloomer from Philippines.
    I like the elegance of its flowers, such a beautiful combination of colors. And the culture couldn’t be simpler.

Course, it’s large (mature bulbs with leaves already reached 50-60 cm in lenght), so the main thing is to grow it neatly from the beginning and keep an eye on the foliage :)

IMG_9144.jpeg
    IMG_9148.jpeg
    IMG_9151.jpeg
    IMG_9152.jpeg
    IMG_9157.jpeg

sam1147, Roberta and ash1de like this.
  2. chadders

chadders Member

Your plant looks wonderfully healthy. Mine just is limping along. What light levels do you grow it in? Cattleya light or paphiopedilum light. Thanks

3. Paganel

Paganel Member

Thanks a lot.

Medium cattleya light, I’d say.
    LEDs which give something about 25 000 lux, according to my luxmeter.

I think my experience doesn’t allow me to make recommendations, but in my personal opinion orchids in cultivation are much more likely to be under-lighted (except pleurotallids) and kept at too warm temperatures than vice versa. And since my moderate temperatures allow for fairly intense light without overheating the plants, I take advantage of this opportunity.

I have а couple dozen coelogyne species and as far as I can tell all of them develop better in bright light. The main thing is to avoid overheating.

And I use the full line of Dyna-Grow fertilizers.