Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Cymbidium tigrinum night temperatures

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Marni, Oct 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I am wondering if anyone here is blooming (or growing, but not blooming, or has killed) Cym. tigrinum with winter night temperatures above 55F or 60F (13 to 15.5C). I've always had it 50F (10C) or below in the winter and am interested in finding out if it can be grown warmer. Thanks.

2. Pook

Pook Disneyed

Can't help you. Mine grows at 50F or lower night temps and doesn't bloom.

3. Marni

Then I am writing this article just for you!

4. Pook

Pook Disneyed

LOL Thanks! I need all the help I can get.

5. wonderlen

wonderlen Member

I grow mine with 13-14'C night temp, no bloom yet, although it had bloomed previously on smaller bulb (not by me). I'm going going to give very dry winter, and see how it goes this winter.

6. Marni

Thanks for the information, wonderlen. I have found that if you give it a very dry winter you may get blooms, but not a good blooming. If you water all winter the spikes that do form damp off very early (about 1-2 cm long). I cut way back, but no longer completely dry all winter.

7. wonderlen

wonderlen Member

Thanks. Hopefully this is my lucky winter.

8. dr_dmd

dr_dmd The dr's out... in the greenhouse!

Mine has gorgeous foliage, but hasn't bloomed yet. It is a young plant - 2 1/2 year only, did make a spike last year which failed on me. I have it in my greenhouse where the low temp is 58. I may need to move it out with the other cymbidiums, based on what you all are noting. It is a great looking plant, but of course, the flowers are the ultimate goal!

Happy growing everyone - Don in CA

9. Roy

Roy Member

I had this cym years ago and grew it outside under shade cloth nearly all year round. Temps from as low 2c - 3c mostly 8c+. If in flower I took it in under cover. Used to flower every year for me. One thing I did find is that it liked to be pot bound with roots and potted a little higher in the pot than other cyms, like Cym. devonianum & hybrids.

10. dr_dmd

Yes, I have noted that they like to be potted that way as well - with larger bark for more air space around the roots as well.

11. lothianjavert

lothianjavert New Member

Mine has been growing well (I think I've had it for a year and a half, maybe two years) but I haven't bloomed it. I imagine my temps are too warm (55-60 nights), but even that low some of my phals (esp. violacea & bellina) start to get po'ed, so I don't want to drop it lower. I've debated sticking it outside in the early fall so it can enjoy the cool night temps, just so long as there are no "surprise" frosts.

12. wonderlen

wonderlen Member

did any body try putting cym. tigrinum into a fridge at night and taking it out during the day?? The plant is very small so, i'm sure it will fit no problem. Most fridge temp is around 4-5'C i think, so not sure it will be too cold for it or not.

13. Pook

Pook Disneyed

In the late 70's I tried putting some hybrid Cyms in the fridge at night. But I now know they probably weren't getting enough light to bloom in the west windows of my loft apt in Philadelphia. So a diurnal change in temp wasn't enough to bloom them.

14. Marni

I'm not so sure that it needs the cold as much as it needs a drier period.

15. wonderlen

wonderlen Member

I see. Maybe it needs drier rest period. All the blooming plant i seen on the net has always very shiveled psuedobulbs. Maybe they been given a very dry rest.

16. dr_dmd

Hey, Marni, thanks for the great article in Orchids Magazine! For that matter, I always enjoy your articles! Everyone, keep a look out for your AOS magazine for December, if you haven't already seen it - Marn's article this time is on Cym tigrinum. Again, thanks Marni.

Don in CA

17. Marni

Thanks, Don, I haven't seen the issue yet. Since I don't grow warm, I frequently ask the range of a plant so I can recommend it to people with different conditions.