Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium hellwigianum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by pacome, Jul 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. pacome

pacome Active Member

3 clones, quite an easy grower, and very willing to breed!

the last picture is of cut flowers photographed on a white background, showing the so elusive bluish tint of some clones of that species. I hope to get some deeper blue flowers by crossing two bluish clones...
    Dendrobium hellwigianum Kopf1 juin2008(1).JPG Dendrobium hellwigianum 3 ecua avril 2009.jpg Dendrobium hellwigianum 4 Ecua octobre 2008 bis.JPG Dendrobium hellwigianum Warren.jpg

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a couple of blue clones, but interestingly, when a friend grows them under lights, they aren't blue.

3. Tom_in_PA

Tom_in_PA I am not an addict

on a roll today :D

4. pacome

pacome Active Member

probably a lack of enough day/night temperature differential, as well as lower light level, could explain the lack of bluish hue, I think.

5. pacome

pacome Active Member

Those pictures are not necessary of the current bloomings;) but I promise, all the plants showed are still alive:D

6. Alexis

Alexis New Member

Very nice!

7. Marni

I think his light is more intense than in my greenhouse.

8. pacome

pacome Active Member

wow! I can't imagine his electric bill!
    maybe a question of temperature then? I remember , 2 years ago , before I had my actual greenhouse, I also grew under lights, and my hellwigianum were of a much poorer coloration. temperature hardly went below 15°C, and I know many cool growing species put smaller and less colored flowers when grown with not so cold nights (as Dendrobium VR, or Masdevallia coccinea for example)

9. Marni

His temperatures definitely get down at night. He has lots of oxyglossums and they bloom fantastically well, compact plants, bright colors, lots of flowers. It is a small grow space and he stays with miniatures, so he probably pays a fraction of what I do. Sometimes I want to try lights to see if I can get such good results.;)

10. pacome

pacome Active Member

I must admit that, for some months, I've grown cuthbertsonii's in a terrarium specially dedicated for them, with fluorescent lights less than 10 cm above the plants, and they grew fantastically well. But this was in winter, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't do that in summer without some kind of electric air conditionning! you're pretty blessed with climate , in California ;-)

11. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have seen some excellent under light growers and I also seen many poor growers with greenhouses. I have done both. I am glad I can do reasonably well with my plants under light now but I still think gh has more advantages.
    Knowing what to do is a must but luck can play a tricky role too as long as you don't run out of good luck.