Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium moniliforme "Samurai"

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Alexey, May 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I acquired this plant one year and 3 moths ago. It had just one cane (potted keiki?) and I did not provided winter rest, but kept it under growing conditions in cool orchidarium. Now it has 16 canes, 2 already separated and potted keikis and decided to bloom.

Den moniliforme 01.jpg Den moniliforme 02.jpg

Kipper likes this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I find this species very difficult to bloom. Congratulations on yours.

3. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

I find it almost impossible to get it to STOP blooming for any length of time; I keep this species because to me it smells like ripe pears.

4. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

It is a magic touch I think. How are you growing it?

5. Alexey

Yes, that would be great to know you cultural tips. Both my clones are growing like weeds, but to see them in good bloom is better.

6. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Actually, I will be more interested in how you grow yours, Alexey. I find it quite magical that yours grew so fast in such short period of time, especially you started yours from a single growth keiki.

7. Alexey

Tom, now I am puzzled: what was done “wrong” with my plants? Will try respond in details later today, when be home and can use supporting photos.

8. Tom-DE

There is nothing "wrong" with your plants. It just seems the growth rate of this particular plant of yours is very very extraordinary.

9. Alexey

Tom, about “doing wrong” – it was a joke, or at least I tried joking.

On the photo below, front left pant is Den moniliforme “Samurai”, 16 canes. Front right plant Den moniliforme pink, 28 canes. Both plants were bought in February 2011. At that time “Samurai” had 1 cane Den “pink” – no more than 3 canes. On the back of the photo is Den Rainbow Dance. It was acquired in February 2009. February is a month of our local show. At that time it was mounted and had 4-5 canes. Now it has approximately 100 or more canes. The last photo shows it in bloom less than 2 years after I got it.

My Den Rainbow Dance is in plastic pot in rather tightly placed sphagnum moss (think about HD Phalaenopsises imported from Taiwan!). During growing period I keep it moist (wetter than Phalaenopsis) and winter rest is not harsh. Plant does not drop leaves at the rest period. Receiving reasonable result with this approach, I just applied it on Den moniliforme, which is well represented in Den Rainbow Dance parentage. Some cultural difference: Dem moniliforme is in double terracotta pots with additional cut-openings. This setup provides better aeration and chilling effect at the rot zone. So far moniliforme’s growth is not bad, but I need to work on blooming.
    Den moniliforme 03.JPG Den moniliforme 04.JPG Den Rainbow Dance 11 2010 02.jpg

10. gnathaniel

gnathaniel Lurker Supporting Member

Damn, Alexey, those are beautiful plants! I've been told that moniliforme and hybrids heavily derived from it like wet conditions year-round with only a slight reduction in the winter. The Bakers' culture sheet seems to agree with this and your plants are living proof.

11. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

It's up high with the vandas for maximum light, in a 4" clay pot, originally in a fine bark mix of which there's probably very little left, seldom repotted, and watered with everything else in intermediate to warm conditions. I had decided to get rid of it about four years ago but kept a two-growth keiki; its now about 40-45 growths. I think it's just an easy cultivar.

12. Tom-DE

Nice plants, Alexey.

Anyone here grow the miniature type?Now I only grow two miniature varieties(1.5-2"tall) on cork mount and they don't grow like weeds for me. When I grew them in clay pot with moss, they grew poorly(root rot).