Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

dendrobium subclausum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by pacome, Jul 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. pacome

pacome Active Member

I got that plant 3 years ago, and it blooms faithfully every summer, with more than hundred flowers this year. I love it, but would love it even more if it would accept to set some pods.... would like to breed a bit with it, but no way...
    Dendro subclausum.jpg Dendrobium subclausum DW juin 2009.jpg

2. mini-catts

mini-catts Member

Like candy corn! Great bicolor.
    Pete

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I've tried a number of times to do outcrosses with this species but never had luck. I have some clones that are very different in plant habit and were lumped into subclausum some years ago. I haven't tried working with the different varieties, I keep thinking that they will be separated at some point and would then be hybrids. All of these are in a grow area that is open in the summer to insects and hummingbirds, but never get any spontaneous pods either.

4. pacome

pacome Active Member

I've tried to self it, outcross it, hybridize with it, but no success at all, at least as a pod parent. I have some flasks of D. aphanochilum x subclausum, and I'll try this year to put some of it's pollen on D. lawesii bicolor.
    By chance, it does many keiki's :)

5. Alexis

Alexis New Member

You're torturing me with all these beautiful Dends that I can't grow in my hot climate. This one is lovely!

6. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

One of my clones makes tons of keikis but the one's with the heavier foliage almost never seem to do it. Of the two var pandanicola clones I have, one makes keikis and the other hardly any. Interesting plants.

7. pacome

pacome Active Member

this may be a good example of how difficult it can be to put the limits between species, subspecies, varieties, etc... I've recently acquired a few other clones from other sources, and no one is similar to my biggest plant, vegetatively. Im still waiting for them to bloom!

8. Papou

Papou New Member

veru nice Laurent:clap: