Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium violaceum

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Jon, Dec 26, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Jon

Jon Mmmm... bulbophyllum...

Will someone please help me with this one? I'm curious if it would be better grown in a pot with sphag or on a mount with sphag. Jay says it needs bright light and intermediate temps (well, he actually says cool to warm, so I'm assuming intermediate is appropriate). Is that correct also?

Thanks!

2. Dale

Dale New Member

Jon, this species grows and blooms well for me in IC conditions; mounted on tree-fern. FYI, it's just to the right of my potting bench at chin height.

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I've grown it in the 50 to 56 minimum night range. I think mid 50"s works very well. Except for the pendant cyperfolium form which is best mounted, it will grow potted or mounted. The smaller flowered forms I usually grow potted and the larger flowered forms more often mounted, though there is no particular logic to that. I mount on cork or tea tree as tree fern stays to wet for my conditions. Potted usually in a fine bark mix. I'll post a few pictures.

4. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I forgot to mention that the potted ones are growing a bit brighter than my D cuthbertsonii. The mounted ones are shadier and I should probably move them.