Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrophylax fawcettii

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by T. migratoris, Apr 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. T. migratoris

T. migratoris Active Member

I have essentially two vices (ok ... two orchid vices) - angraecoids and leafless. I grow this little gem with other Dendrophylax species as well as all of the Microcoelias. I grow it (them) on a single 16-ga galvanized wire hanging from the overhead pipe rack. High humidity, good air movement, warm to very warm, very bright light. Grows like a weed.
    Dendrophylax fawcettii .001 01-13-13 01 sm.jpg

2. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

Wonderful...your greenhouse seems like paradise

Uluwehi likes this.
  3. piotrm

piotrm Well-Known Member

I like it a lot!

4. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

Paradise indeed! What a beautiful set of blooms!!

I am doubtful of the fawcettii ID for this one, the spur is much shorter than other fawcettii I have seen. I purchased some plants from Exotic Orchids of Maui (and from other resellers) last year labelled as fawcettii that bloomed out to be funalis. If I had a copy of the original fawcettii I would post it here but I don't have it handy at the moment.

Here is a "fawcettii" that turned out to be funalis: http://speciesidentificationtaskforce.blogspot.com/2010/02/dendrophylax-fawcettii.html

5. oisifml

oisifml Active Member

In any case it looks terrific.. bravo!!

6. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

I have heard others report that most of the leafless plants do best if suspended from a wire, or a very open wire mesh, and not well if attempted on a slab. Anyone have any thoughts on why that might be?

7. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

In my experience, that has not been the case. I have a few seedlings of funalis, fawcettii along with a few Microcoelias and Chiloschistas. All of mine are mounted to wood and do fine. A local grower also has many more than I do, all mounted, and they are the nicest specimens I've seen. With that said, it may be easier to attach them to wire or mesh since many species don't seem to like to attach their roots. Even with my seedlings, there are more roots growing in the air than there are attached to a slab.

8. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

The fact that some grow naturally this way may be part of the reason! This is a microcoelia species I saw in kenya, growing on I have no idea what....maybe itself...just hanging around in the air. And all those little brown things coming out? yeah, those were like 25 developing spikes...

afarm7.staticflickr.com_6080_6106258347_c8149b7577_z.jpg

Marni likes this.