Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrophylax porrectus

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Uluwehi, Sep 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

One of three leafless orchids native to the US (Florida), this Lilliputian species' native range also includes Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, Cuba, Puerto Rico and in the Leeward Islands (Caribbean).

This is about as close as I can get to the flowers with the lens available to me. It is a sweet true miniature that should have a place in any collection of Angraecoid and Vandaceous orchids. I grow it bright, under intermediate-warm temperatures, very high humidity, daily water (twice daily under summer conditions) and out of strong air movement.

I do have to keep algae growth in check however!

Please visit Prem Subrahmanyam's fantastic Florida Native Orchid Blog to read more about this interesting species and enjoy his fabulous pictures!
    5010239407_c0fd248e32.jpg 5010842680_7697aa98a5.jpg 5010841238_c0078a9eea.jpg

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

That is great, Jacob. Thanks.

3. prem

prem Wild Orchid Enthusiast

have you smelled the flowers at night yet?

---Prem

4. gg68

gg68 Angraecoid addict

Strange...but interesting!!

5. Alexis

Alexis New Member

Wonderful!! Do you have any idea where this might be available?

6. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

Thanks everyone!

Prem, I tried to smell it last night but no dice. I'll try again tomorrow night.

Alexis, I got mine from Andy's, though he is using this plants former name Harrisella porrecta. Seven years ago phylogenetic research showed it to fall squarely within the Dendrophylax clade, so Harrisella is no more. Apparently D. porrectus is closest to D. barrettiae, a species I would love to grow too.

I have friends who say that in parts of south Florida they have seen these growing inside the twigs of garden shrubs and hedges and that they are much more common than people think. I wonder if you will begin to see them in your area once you peel your eyes especially for this tiny critter.

7. Alexis

Alexis New Member

Thanks for the info, Jacob.

8. prem

prem Wild Orchid Enthusiast

Yeah, they could even be growing in your yard and you not know it, Alexis. Common host trees for this species are Baldcypress, Pop Ash, Eastern Redcedar, and old citrus. They apparently grew in the camellia bushes at a local Orlando botanical garden before a vindictive groundskeeper decided to trim the bushes mercilessly and discard the orchids.

If you look in an area that is host to other species of Tillandsia besides just ball moss and spanish moss, you're in an area with better likelihood of finding these orchids. Look on the undersides of smaller branches for silvery orchid roots that do not attach to any noticeable plants.

---Prem

9. Erik

Erik New Member

++1