Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dracula cochliops

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Jon, Jan 25, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Jon

Jon Mmmm... bulbophyllum...

I have a nice sized plant of this species, and it doesn't want to flower for me. Anyone have any suggestions on making it want to procreate? TIA.

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I bloom it in a small plastic pot growing in sphagnum moss, 50 to 52 minimum night, mid 70's frequently during the day. They don't have to be large plants to bloom. I don't water them as often as draculas in baskets or mounted, but I don't think they ever dry out. I have tried them mounted, but that didn't work out as well as with other Dracula species for me. They are in bud now.

How are you growing yours?

3. Jon

What about light, Marni?

I have this one in a basket in the basement. 50 nights, 65 days (winter), 60 nights, 75 days (summer). Daily water. Little airflow.

4. Marni

It is in my back greenhouse (don't know if you remember it enough to help) just as you go in the door, so not down at the bright end. Definitely not high light. Growing with assorted small pleuros, restrepias, some mini dendrochilums. There is no fan blowing across or on them, but there are fans on the wall above and below the bench so the air circulation is very good. I had this plant go way down hill because I hadn't repotted it for a long time and the bush snails had eaten all the roots off to nubs on rhizome. It has taken a long time to come back.

5. Jon

Ok. Thanks Marni. Sounds like my conditions as well. Maybe I'll just move it and see what happens. Thanks for your comments!

6. Chad

Chad New Member

I was not able to bloom this one. I could never get my growing area below 62 degrees and I think this one needed that 50 degree range like Marni suggested. I think this one finally croaked on me. I'll have to go upstairs and check now.

-Chad

7. Marni

Chad, are there Dracula species that do well for you with that temperature night. I've never grown in that temperature range so would be interested in which, if any, are adaptable to that.

8. Forrest

Forrest Really Neat

I believe mine is in spike Jon. I grow it on the far wall under the cooler close to the floor. I don't know if you remember or not but cool air just sorta oozes out of that thing. Light is very low on that one.

9. Jon

Thanks Forrest.