Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Ethical dilemmas of treefern?

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Chris, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

Anybody have any concerns about using treefern?

From Firstrays' website:

2. Clark

Clark Gator Member

I still can get osmunda fiber locally. It works great as a growing medium Lycastes. Still have a bag I haven't touched. It the roots of cinnamon fern which is a native here.

I also use tree fern for many of my mounts. I have not had a problem getting it locally. Also I can still find the tree fern that is real dense.

3. Alexis

Alexis New Member

Hmm, interesting question. I don't know where or how it is harvested; i.e. is it a crop, or is it cut from natural environments? I have a couple of tree fern trees in my yard, and when one decided not to live anymore, I got a bunch of material from its trunk. But not enough to have cut it down just for the fiber.

'Makes me glad I don't like to use tree fern. However, the loss of osmunda is tragic - I loved that stuff.

4. abaxter

abaxter New Member

I don't use it. Never will.

5. Candace

Candace Kept Woman Supporting Member

I use tree fern for my mounts, along with cork if I can get it reasonably. I don't know of any ethical reasons for not using it. But truthfully, there probably is something environmentally negative if you search long enough.

6. Clark

Clark Gator Member

This is sort of a catch 22 question. Chris, I ask you, and please don't get upset, is it ethical to go down to the Florida Keys and drill borings through coral heads just to determine the past's climate history. This process must kill the coral. The corals in the Keys are dying quickly and here is some scientist killing more to learn about the past. Try killing them to learn the future.

7. Chris

Chris New Member

It does not, in fact, kill the coral colony.

8. Karen

Karen Species nut

Tree fern

Tree fern poles are GREAT! I can grow warm Angraecoids with poles, that otherwise wouldn't grow for me. They're not too expensive, which tells me they aren't exhausted, yet.

9. Clark

Clark Gator Member

Chris, again do not take offense, do you have any photos of the past drilling of the coral heads that show there is no determent the coral's health?

10. Chris

Chris New Member

No. I haven't been doing it long enough to have my own photos.

Why would I be offended? I have no a priori reason to expect you to know how coring affects the colonies.