Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

First time blooms

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by ash1de, Sep 10, 2022.

1. ash1de

ash1de Active Member

Over the past few years, I have acquired a few non-blooming size plants. My patience (Ha!) was rewarded this spring/summer with first time blooms:

Coelogyne schilleriana
    Coelogyne schilleriana.jpeg

Cleisocentron gokusingii
    Cleisocentron gokusingii1.jpeg
    Cleisocentron gokusingii2.jpeg

Cleisostoma scolopendrifolium
    Cleisostoma scolopendrifolium2.jpeg

Cleisostoma scolopendrifolium1.jpeg

Neocogniauxia monophylla
    Neocogz.jpeg
    Neocogniauxia monophylla1.jpeg

Trichotosia dasyphylla
    Trichotosia dasyphylla2.jpeg

Trichotosia dasyphylla1.jpeg

Neobathiea filicornu
    Neobathiea filicornu.jpeg

Liparis gibbosa-this was purchased as a blooming sized plant. There are better pictures of this plant/flower on the Forum, but this was the best I could do with my iphone.
    Liparis gibbosa2.jpeg
    Liparis gibbosa1.jpeg

Roberta, gjanick, DPfarr and 3 others like this.
  2. rico

rico Active Member

Wonderful! There are few feelings quite like that when a seedling grows up enough for its first bloom. You also highlight such diversity in one post - orchids are amazing :)

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Wonderful post!

4. Nisanisa

Nisanisa Active Member

Congratulations! Those truly wonderful. A bunch of lovely orchids

5. spiro K.

spiro K. Well-Known Member

Wow, Impressive selection!

6. gjanick

gjanick Member

Absolutely amazing orchid plants!!!!!!! All of which I have never heard of! (LOL) I like this one the best: Cleisocentron gokusingii. It appears that this orchid is a 'true blue' bloom, so rare! Congratulations on all these plants!

I lived in Oscoda MI for 10 years in the 1980's (I did not do orchids back then), and the winters can be very brutal. Where do you grow your orchids and what kind of set-up do you have? I am curious. I live in Thailand now. Hot humid humid humid climate (I don't like the sauna-like weather but the plants and garden love it).

I call your type of plants 'exotic' and awesome and amazing, types of orchids I guess that are out of my league.

Take care. Greg.

7. ash1de

ash1de Active Member

Hi Greg,

Many thanks for your kind words. I would describe this group of plants as ‘unusual’ and somewhat uncommon, rather than exotic. I have been growing orchids for 20+ years and have created more wish lists than you can imagine based on photos I have found online, especially on the Forum. When one of these plants appears online, I grab it. I am fortunate that New World Orchids is within driving distance and that Andy’s and other vendors are 2-day shipping away.

I grow in an 8x12 lean to twin-wall polycarbonate greenhouse that has an electric heater. The humidity level is about 70% year round, maintained by a fogging unit that is controlled by a humidistat. Because of the cold Michigan winters (it was -18 F here one morning a few years ago), I have added an oil filled electric radiator that I place close to the door of the greenhouse. Without this heater, the door to the greenhouse would and has frozen shut.

Although I am not fond of hot/humid weather I am somewhat envious of your growing conditions. However, my Lepanthes would be most unhappy.

David

8. ash1de

ash1de Active Member

Rico,

I could not agree more-the first blooms are the most satisfying, even though subsequent blooms might be visually more pleasing.

9. ash1de

ash1de Active Member

Thanks to all for your comments.

10. gjanick

gjanick Member

David, I also lived in the very NE corner of North Dakota near the Canadian border the last 9 years before my beloved wife died of a rare bladder cancer. So I was alone, and in Dec. 2015 I moved to Zhuhai China. In ND, many times the weather hit -40F with blizzard conditions. I had orchids on the main floor and in the basement under grow lights next to our home furnace. I had humidifiers in the living room and kitchen upstairs and in the basement. I had some plants parish but overall I was pretty successful. Plants like vandas all died quickly. Yes, we learn by trial and error and we learn how to adapt. So do the plants--LOL.

Nice chatting with you! Greg.