Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Gomesa crispa or recurva?

Discussion in 'Orchid Identification Section' started by Gerrit, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Gerrit

Gerrit Well-Known Member

Got this as Gomesa crispa but can't this be recurva?

Gomesa recurva-181205-.jpg Gomesa recurva-181205--3.jpg Gomesa recurva-181205--4.jpg

2. GaryYG

GaryYG Active Member

Hi Gerrit,

Yes, I agree with you that your plant is Gomesa recurva. Both Gom. recurva and Gom. crispa are often much-confused, as the flowers are quite similar.

The key to Gomesa in Orchids of Brazil says that Gom. crispa has lateral sepals that are fused only at the base, whereas in Gom. recurva the laterals are fused for over half their length.

Reference: Baptista, D.H., Harding. P.A. & A. Docha Neto. (2011) Orchids of Brazil – Oncidiinae Part 1. Associação Orquidófila Piracicabana, Brazil.

Cheers.

Gary

3. Gerrit

Gerrit Well-Known Member

Thanks Gary. Another plant I have is labelled as recurva. It flowered last year but i didn't take pictures. When it flowers this year I will take some so I can compare the flowers. This second plant grows much smaller, only half the size of this one.