Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Habenaria Sunrise Plumes

Discussion in 'Orchid Hybrids' started by DarleneJay, Sep 3, 2018.

1. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

This is the first time I have bloomed this cross. It is Habenaria roebelenii x medusae.

20180903_214453.jpg
    20180903_165854.jpg

2. RustyExotics

RustyExotics Nicholas - It's a terrestrial thing

One of my favorite Habenaria crosses. Really, really beautiful plant. I'm not used to the lip being the shape that yours is, though. It's usually just a thin, plane strip. I actually love being able to see the "fish tail" from roebelenii. The color also looks a lot more intense than usual. Is there any chance yours is sunrise plumes crossed again with an orange rhodocheila type?

3. DarleneJay

I was wondering about the color also. According to the tag, it is roebelenii x medusae. But anything is possible. I will send the grower a note and see if there was a back cross nearby. Maybe this one was mislabeled.

4. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

That is a stunning orchid. Beautiful cross

5. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Habenaria Sunrise Plumes is my hybrld and yours is something else. I also have one like yours that Leon Glicenstein sent me. He didn't have it labeled at the time, so I am checking with him now.

6. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I sent your image to Leon Glicenstein and he says he doesn't know what it is.

7. DarleneJay

A quick update: I never figured out what this cross is but if anyone is interested in a trade I have a few extra tubers to share. Let me know.

Clearly, I am in the midst of repotting ;)

RustyExotics likes this.
  8. RustyExotics

RustyExotics Nicholas - It's a terrestrial thing

I'm ganna hop on that train instantly! I have some Habenaria Raingreen's Pink Paw, Hab. erichmichelii, or Bonatea saundersioides that I'd be willing to trade. Most are seedling size, some are near-blooming or blooming size Let me know if any those sound interesting to you.

Also, I was thinking about this not too long ago, actually... I'm wondering if it's Habenaria Bird of Paradise (Conure x medusa) or a similar rhodocheila hybrid crossed with medusa. I've seen Hab. Bird of Paradise before, and it looks very similar to yours, but maybe not identical. It's immensely hard to tell the parentage when you start hybridizing members of the rhodocheila complex...

9. DarleneJay

Hi Nicholas! I am definitely interested in the habenarias. I will PM you about the trade!