Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

How long do you water for?

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Chris, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

This is a question for those of you who primarily grow mounted. Many of the species we grow can come from areas were it will rain no problem 4-12 hours out of the day, nearly every day.

What's your watering (not misting for humidity, but actually full on imitating rainfall) strategy in general (duration, time of day, etc.)?

2. Jon

Jon Mmmm... bulbophyllum...

It depends on your watering system. I'd suggest watering based on need and not trying to emulate natural conditions.

3. Forrest

Forrest Really Neat

jesus man. Don't kill those plants.

4. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

+1

5. Jon

+1

6. Tom-DE

That is going to happen sooner or later! remember last summer?:poke::evil:

7. Jeff9

Jeff9 Member

remember that even though it may rain alot in the wild, the plants are also exposed to alot of air and wind so when you water make sure your air circulation is in balance with the amount of water.

8. Chris

Chris New Member

Hey Tom, go f*ck yourself.

9. Jon

PG folks... PG...

10. Forrest

Forrest Really Neat

I too thought that this was pretty good.

11. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Chris, do you want to create a "natural" environment or do you want to grow orchids well? I've known a couple of growers who set up their greenhouses to duplicate the schedule of rain/mist/humidity that they thought occurred in a rain forest. What amazed those of us looking on was how pleased they were, how certain that eventually the plants would do better and how poorly their plants actually grew.

12. Jon

Valid argument, Marni. There is a pretty profound difference between optimal and natural culture. Temperature and light are pretty much the same across the two, but water, humidity, and airflow are not. I can understand the desire for a naturalistic environ, but it really isn't feasible on a small scale.

13. Chris

Chris New Member

Marni, this was more of a general discussion thread, I have no intention of "making it rain" for hours on end :) .

14. Jon

Well in that case, I water 5 days a week with 2 different nozzles. The sprinklers go for 4 minutes per run. The foggers go for 7 minutes a run. All told, I use probably 15 gallons a day, give or take 5 gallons. Mind you, this is for a 9x13 GH with a 7' ridgeline and 30" below grade. My GH dries out in the summer and winter due to external airflow (evap cooler) and condensation on the cold walls, respectively. In the spring, I'm not sure I can give my plants enough water, and in the fall, they're pretty much all tired from a summer of awesome.

15. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

OK, I water until things are wet. I water again when they are approaching dryness. Mist will get things just as wet as a hose, it just takes longer. If I want something to dry faster or slower than the things around it, I use a different mounting material. I have other mounted plants that I water until they are wet and then I wait 2 to 4 days until I water again.

16. Tom-DE

Gees! Can you take a little joke?:rolleyes: I am surprised you are still a sensitive little shit after all these years running around forums.

17. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

This is exactly how I approach watering too.