Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Kelp fertilizer

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by annabanana1987, May 9, 2014.

1. annabanana1987

annabanana1987 Active Member

I just got some water soluble kelp extract. uploadfromtaptalk1399677513509.jpg since im worried about some of the orchids I have just mounted roots. Do I Do a weak weekly feeding to start? Or just try it once a month

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I use kelp fertilizer as a supplement every 2 to 4 weeks, but use fertilizer at every watering quite dilute (1/4 tsp oer gallon). If you are growing in the house you may want it less often since the light won't be as bright.

annabanana1987 likes this.
  3. annabanana1987

Yes I read its not a substitute for regular fertilizer. I do one day on and one day off diluted normally :)
    Does the light effect it in some way ? Or the pants ability to grab it ?

4. Marni

The more light (up to a point) the more the plant is able to photosynthesize and the more fertilizer it can use.

5. annabanana1987

I've learned lot thers past few months thanks Marni you've been so kind to pass on information♡♡

6. annabanana1987

You can read a lot but still not have accurate understanding unless someone gives you first hand knowledge :)

7. annabanana1987

Does one let it set in the kelp fertilizer for a while or just water regularly? To drain out . I understood its more of what someone does. I mist everything by hand since I have many areas of growing. I let it run through though. .. the application matter ?

8. Marni

I water with it because I use a hose. If you are only doing a few plants, soaking them is fine, but as you get more, that becomes too time consuming for most of us.

9. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Anna,

In general, hormone stimulant products shouldn't be used more often than about every 2-3 weeks of so, as that's about how long the stimulating effect from a dose lasts in the plants.

Assuming you purchased the powdered stuff they have on their website, I wouldn't look for to much effect. The processing of seaweed liquids to dry powders really degrades the stimulating chemicals.

10. annabanana1987

Damn! Ok well I can always buy another one and use this on my other plants once a month :) thanks ray

11. annabanana1987

There phrasing cought my attention "dont pay for water" thats why I got the powered. Well it may not be the best quality . Live and learn.

12. Ray

I agree with that for fertilizers - most liquids are solutions of inorganic salts anyway, and it's easy enough to make your own solutions (which is why I discontinued selling liquid versions of the MSU formulas) - but with a natural juice in which the active ingredients are fairly unstable, processing and storage makes all the difference in the world.

For example, all seaweed extracts contain gibberellins, which are really powerful hormones, but they are SO unstable, that they degrade to nothing before the products can even be packaged.

13. annabanana1987

So what would you suggest? They all sound similar and are about the same price rang

14. ZWUM

ZWUM Bulbophiliac Staff Member

I use kelp max, I get it from Ray and works great. After the first few applications I've noticed intense root growth especially on catts and angraecoids.

15. annabanana1987

I shall look into that thanks ZWUM next time ...I have a couple weeks till I can buy more

16. Ray

I don't have the experimental basis to really connect the two, but I (and a few others) that are using K-Lite fertilizer at low doses (I use 50 ppm N 3x/week this time of year) plus a periodic supplement with KelpMax (monthly for me) are noticing a significant increase in the number of new growths in paphs. Historically, I would say that one growth at a time was pretty standard for me - occasionally two - but this year two is an absolute minimum, with 3 or 4 at a time being the "norm".

RosieC likes this.