Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

LED Plant Light Sale

Discussion in 'For Trade/Sale' started by Ray, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

I just got in a shipment of my custom-made LED lamps, and with today being my birthday, I thought I'd have a special on them.

LED_1-400x400.jpg

They consist of 64 chips, in a combination of bright white, warm white, and red diodes to improve flowering while keeping good color rendition. There is a clear plastic "splash guard" over the chips, so they are great for terrariums. They are rated at 13 W, can be used with 85v to 265v circuits, and screw into a standard incandescent socket, while having some rotation in the base so you can line them up. Output at one foot distance has been measured at a PPFD of about 50-55 ┬Ámol/sq, m/sec, which is about 90-95% of a 2', 24W T5 bulb.

I have one about 12" over some phals and African violets in a dark bathroom, and they all grow and flower nicely. At that height, they're good for about an area 2' square or so.

The first of these I got in sold out at $29, and I have been able to lower the price to $24 each (with discounts for multiple units), and the special now has them at $20 each.

2. ZWUM

ZWUM Bulbophiliac Staff Member

Sweet is your sale still on? Happy belated bday!

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Do these just screw into a standard fixture?

4. chicago chad

chicago chad Active Member

Yes Marni. They will fit a standard US socket. I find that the work better with a reflector even though the diodes face the same direction. I have no complaints about them after a year plus of use.

5. Marni

Do they put out any heat. I am always looking for lighting for the increasing number of flask shelves and heat is a problem in some cases. I guess it is time to try.

6. chicago chad

I have not measured the heat output exactly. What I can say is this:
    I have a tank measuring 36" long, 18" deep and 18" tall with Paph seedlings in it. The tank has 2 light hoods over it that rest on top of poly carbonate sheeting. The total lights over the tanks consist of 2 of these LEDs and 2 CFL bulbs. From this I may only have a 2-4F increase in temps. I consider it minimal. Hope that helps a bit.

7. Marni

Thanks for the information, Chad.

8. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

I turned mine on all day today. Excited for my windowsill odds and ends to grow better.

9. Marni

I have 2 of these over a 2x4 shelf with flasks. The light is surprisingly nice and the coverage is good. I am especially excited to see how they do since I have a problem with the T5 of heating the shelf above and that means I have to choose carefully what goes on that center strip of shelf above the light and a problem for cool growers.

10. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

What's a good reflector for this bulb?

11. Ray

You don't really need a traditional reflector, as 100% of the light is emitted from the face directed at the plants, but if you want to narrow the beam, I have used aluminum "step flashing" from the local Lowes or Home Depot (about $0.85) to make them. Be sure to create some holes to allow free air flow around the heat sink/case.

12. Marni

I bought some of these when Ray first put this up. I've just bought more and am very happy with them. I've been using 2 bulbs per shelf but may end up using 3 per 2 x 4 ft shelf to get really even coverage. That is still less watts than a single 4ft T5 and will be better coverage. I tried a couple of cheap bulbs from China for a comparison and will stick with Ray's. I don't know how much the plants care, but I like the quality of the light with the red diodes and since I have to work around them that is important to me. Thanks, Ray!

13. Ray

Thank YOU, Marni.

14. Lauren

Lauren New Member

Ray, what do you tend to use to hold the bulb? I just one of these to try out and am very excited, but it's proving harder than expected to find a lamp that will hold the bulb properly over my plants.

15. Marni

I would be interested in what Ray has to say, but depending on what your set up is, I found a very inexpensive solution from inexpensive parts from the hardware store (under $10). I am installing them underneath a wooden shelf. I started off using a dual flood light fixture that I had already. I am lighting a 2 x 4 ft shelf so was using 2 bulbs. The fixture shown had the bulbs a bit to close together for even lighting so I bought some of the individual parts and am using 2 of the plates and 2 of the sockets but they are separate and I wire them up to a cord. I have the 2 lights running on the 4ft center line.

16. Ray

I have used a number of different methods - goose-neck or articulated desk lamps with the shade removed (in this case, the lamp was spray-painted black to match the base
    , LED_Desk-Lamp.jpg

I have also used clamp lamps, again with the shade removed
    [​IMG]
    lamp parts I've cobbled together
    2lights.jpg
    I am using holders like the one in the upper right of this image is great for holding pairs of lamps in a seedling enclosure.

17. Lauren

Lauren New Member

18. Ray

I just got more of these back in stock, and have decided to keep the $20 price.

19. chicago chad

Thanks Ray. If they died out more often I would buy more. I still have the first ones running strong. I guess that is a good thing for us and not so much for you. I have decided to not go through with anymore T5s as a result. I have to replace those damn things constantly.

20. Marni

I am switching over to these for the flasking shelves. Since I started buying T5 fixtures about 3 years ago, a lot of them have gone bad. I have yet to burn out a tube and I now have a good supply of tubes with no fixtures. The company has stopped taking responsibility. I was using 57W bulbs, 4 ft long for a 2 x 4' shelf. I can get by with 2 of these for the same space which will cut my electricity costs substantially.