Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Malala's Ang IDs

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by mrbreeze, Feb 13, 2009.

1. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Anglican Supporting Member

This goes out to anyone (Michalito?, Magnus?) who has purchased a variation of Angraecum girminyanum from Malala.

They list girminyanum, ramosum, and ramosum var. arachnite. Well, when one checks the books, one finds that all of those are now classified as girminyanum. But since Michelle is selling all three under a different name, I tend to strongly assume that they are different plants or at least different varieties of girminyanum. So, can anyone verify that the two listed ramosums bloom out to be variations of girminyanum? Any photos? Many thanks for any relevant input. :) Many curses for any irrelevant input. :mad:

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Fortunately for me, I think this is relevant. I haven't bought germinyanum from her, but the ramosum var. arachnite is very distinctive from anything I have ever seen as germinyanum. I'll dig around for an image.

3. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Anglican Supporting Member

Your photo was exhilerating.

Just to add to the detail...

According to Hillerman (1986) the Ang. ramosum complex consisted of:

subsp. bidentatum
    var. arachnites
    var. bathiei
    var. conchoglossum, and
    var. peracuminatum

The taxonomists were at work even back then because he mentions that the complex had recently become the girminyanum complex.

Fast forward to 2006 and Stewart's new book and we find that ramosum is a seperate species that, from what I can tell is mostly unrelated to the Hillerman varieties. Arachnites is a seperate species as is conchoglossum. The rest of the varieties have apparently gone *poof*. I find no mention of them. So take that info and then juggle Jay's site at the same time as well as some Ang related websites, and you may be as confused as me. :confused:

4. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I've been confused all day. What ever it is called, it is wonderful and quite distinctive.

I don't know if I've ever bought a ramosum from her (I may have one, but just don't know). Maybe someone else on the list has.

5. Magnus A

Magnus A Ph.D.

Sorry mrbreeze
    I have never bought anything from Malala. But I know that Mikael (Mitcholito on another forum) have. Maybe Linda (Lika[Sweden]) can comment on the behalf of Mikael.
    /Magnus