Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Masdevallia (Diodonopsis) erinacea

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by pyrrhonota, Dec 4, 2012.

1. pyrrhonota

pyrrhonota Student

I've posted photos of this clone before, but thought I'd share a particularly nice blooming from April this year.

Cheers

100_3420.jpg

2. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Great blooming and photo!

3. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Well done!

4. Kermie

Kermie Tadpole Supporting Member

Beautiful blooming and great photo!

5. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Great blooming on a nice, clean plant!!! I'm sure you have already answered this question somewhere, but I don't remember. I am interested in knowing your growing conditions. If you posted it somewhere can you give me a link?

6. pyrrhonota

pyrrhonota Student

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

7. pyrrhonota

pyrrhonota Student

Marni,
    I just created a thread in the Growing Areas forum and added a link to my signature. This plant gets the same treatment as most of my orchids. Summer night lows are in the low to mid 60's F and day highs around the mid to upper 80's. Winter lows in the mid to high 50's and highs in the low 70's. I try to keep the humidity at 75% or higher. This plant gets watered (drenched with a pump sprayer) everyday in the summer, every 3 days or so in winter. I try avoid spraying buds or flowers. I fertilize with DynaGro Orchid Pro 0.5 tsp/gallon tap water, pH raised to ~6.0-6.2 with DynaGro Pro-teKt (0.0-0.5 tsp as the tap pH varies) about 3 out of 4 waterings in summer, less in winter. I'm lucky in that my municipal water is pretty high quality. This plant only gets moderate light.
    I hope this helps.

8. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks, Peter. I always like to know how someone is growing something when they grow it better than I do.

9. pyrrhonota

pyrrhonota Student

You're welcome, Marni. I should add that it is mounted on the top of a small section of oak branch. The Masdevallias I have mounted this way (as opposed to vertical) seem to do better. Probably holds water a bit longer.