Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Maxillaria elatior

Discussion in 'Orchid Identification Section' started by Fereydoon, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Fereydoon

Fereydoon Member

Hello Guys! I have a Maxillaria elatior and I was wondering why there are two completely different bloom shape being presented for sale for this species. What Ecuagenera is selling have a different bloom than what you normally see when you Google the name. I appreciate any info about this subject because I'm quite confused about it and I couldn't find any answers myself.

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I checked Ron Parson's Flickr for Maxillaria elatior. He has a picture of Ecuagenera's plant and has it labeled as Maxillaria purpureolabia. You can compare it with the other clones of Max. elatior. Ron's Flickr is great because he has a lot of images (that he has taken himself) in one place and is very careful about getting names correct.

GaryYG and Fereydoon like this.
  3. Fereydoon

Fereydoon Member

Thanks so much Marni, I really appreciate your help on this.
    I did a little digging and Maxillaria purpureolabia is the correct name for what I have. Thanks so much again.

Marni likes this.