Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Maxillaria huancabambae

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Jon, Dec 13, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Jon

Jon Mmmm... bulbophyllum...

Help please. I am not growing this species very well, and I need some serious help with it. HELP!

maxhuancabambae012008a.jpg
    maxHuancabambae012008b.jpg
    maxhuancabambae012008a.jpg maxHuancabambae012008b.jpg

2. Jean

Jean whatever

Ain't she cute!

3. DawnC

DawnC New Member

Feel free to send it to me and I'll try to save the fugly thing fer ya. :poke: Cute as hell, I love it.

4. Jon

Not if it's gonna be dead soon.

5. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Jon, I have a plant that does pretty well and have taken divisions that make a slow. downhill path to the trash can. And I don't really understand why. I bought mine at Ecuagenera about 10 years ago and they were growing it really well in the warm house. I recently read (but don't remember where) that it grows cool. So I have put a couple pieces in a cooler house, but have no idea yet if they will improve. I attach a photo of my plant in February 2006. It was mounted in 2004. It is still on the same piece of grape vine, but with a lot more moss. It is growing well, but I think I will remount it on harder wood. I do get some die back at the end of some of the growths. Don't know why. The growths all hang out away from the mount somewhat horizontally. I'm sure you know that on this type of Maxillaria the roots are running down inside the sheaths (or what ever they are). I grow it high in the intermediate gh on the rings. It gets daily water and fertilizer. I think it needs to dry between waterings and the moss creep I have on it now probably isn't a good idea.

If I were you, I would mount the piece, attaching only the base of the plant and put just a wisp of sphagnum at the base. Let the rest (if there is any) of the plant hang free and away from the mount. Make sure that it isn't staying wet all the time. Good luck.

6. Marni

I forgot to attach the image
    max.huanca.2006.jpg

7. Jon

That's exactly the information I needed, Marni. I was growing it wet, shady, and IC.

8. Ron-NY

Ron-NY New Member

nice species.. I think I will add this species to my wish list as well.

9. Gordon

Gordon Member

There was an article in Orchids or some other magazine a good while ago about Pityphyllae, i think they included this one there. Something about cool temperatures with bright light springs to mind. Mind you, my Pityphyllum sp. is just going downhill slowly. Maybe too warm in the orchidarium during the summer? Hopefully it will recover over the winter to give me another try at summering it...

10. Marni

Gordon, yes it is included. At some point I will learn these and start changing tags. I have been told that I should look for Pityphyllae amesianum for its very bizarre foliage. Where is the one you are having trouble with from (country of origin)? Good luck with it and have you bloomed it?

If you have an opportunity to hear Mark Whitten (co-author of the article in Orchids that you mention) lecture on his work on classifying Maxillaria species, do it. A lot of taxonomy lectures need a snooze alarm, but his work makes sense and is well presented.

11. Gordon

Gordon Member

marni- i bought it from a european vendor as Pityphyllum sp. I haven't flowered it and unfortunately it looks unlikely... Following the revised key to Pityphyllum in the Orchids article i would guess that it is a P. laricinum, but who knows?
    I've had it for just over a year and it did well the first autumn-winter-spring when i maintain I-C temps, but this summer the Orchidarium got a bit too warm, although i was able to keep the humidity up and deliberately reduced the light. I was planning to get them all outside during the summer but never found the time to get a set-up organised for the mounted plants.
    Good luck with yours, Jon!

Oh, and a PS. Just checked the article (Orchids, March 2006) and according to Iván Portilla they require "high light intensity, cool temperatures and pure water"...

12. Marni

Thanks for the follow up. I tried a division a while back with about the 1/2 the water I had been giving it and that was a bad idea, big nosedive. My water is good, but I may try a plant in a cooler spot that gets more light.

13. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Marni or Jon, What kind of air movement does this species like?

I just got a bare root plant not long ago and I mounted it on a stick. Thank you all for sharing the culture info.

14. Marni

I don't have it in the direct path of a fan and what fans I do have are not on high speed. Certainly not enough to be moving the leaves on this or nearby plants. I do have gentle air movement throughout the greenhouse. Good luck, it is a wonderful species.

15. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yup, I do like this species and I am glad I've finally added it to my collection. Thanks, Marni.

16. Eddie729

Eddie729 New Member

Damn - that's nice.