Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Maxillaria Orchid

Discussion in 'Orchid Identification Section' started by Mandy2705, Mar 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Mandy2705

Mandy2705 Member

After the orchid show, I visited my favorite place in the world, Island Orchid in Colorado Springs. I needed some orchid seaweed extract fertilizer and a possible $5 steal lol. I ended getting the fertilizer, $5 den. nobile NOID out of bloom, and two free orchids. The woman that works there is lovely and so kind, she sees me all the time and she was at another lady's house reporting her orchids and these where given to her. She decided to give them to me ❤️. One is an NOID oncidium covered in scale, but I am dealing with it :( I have Rose and Flower systemic insecticide. Also, I soaked it in soapy water with alcohol and scrubbed the living daylights out of it with a baby toothbrush. It's isolated and hopefully recovers. The max. was a max. ten. but only when it blooms will I be able to tell. Its psuedobulbs are super tiny, a little over half an inch to an inch long. My max ten that I got at the show is huge compared to this one but this one has SEVERAL psuedobulbs. It's awesome. This one is isolated as well since its buddy was the infested oncidium.
    Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

How fun.
    The little Oncidium is about the size and shape of O. chierophorum. The Maxillaria may be M. sanguinea (Based only on size).
    Good luck with the scale control. They can be tenaceous.

3. Mandy2705

Mandy2705 Member

Thanks you Kelly :) I hope I can successfully remove the scale. I can't find in myself to throw this plant away since the lady who gave it to me has been so kind to me. Time will tell if I can help this plant.