Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Maxillaria tenuifolia

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by kylefletcherbaker, Jan 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. kylefletcherbaker

kylefletcherbaker New Member

How in the world does one get this bloody thing to bloom?!?!?! Have a lovely specimen with close to 30 bulbs..but never a flower. Planted on 5" clay pot hung on a western facing wall with about 500fc of light most of the time.
    Misted daily..drenched weekly..fed with either weak Montys Joy Juice or dyna-gro in rotation....this was on advice...day temps 55*-90* depnding on time of year...night temps 50*-60* again depending on time of year.

kfb maine

2. Tom_in_PA

Tom_in_PA I am not an addict

I finally got mine to bloom for me last spring so I am not exactly an expert but from the sounds of it you should give it more light, at least cattleya type light or more. For the first time last year I also let it dry out completely before I watered it. It is potted in a 50/50 mix of shredded spagnum moss and sponge rock.

Hope this helps...

3. DawnC

DawnC New Member

Mine didnt bloom until it was getting sunburned.

4. Alexis

Alexis New Member

I grow mine high up in my open-air shadehouse; i.e. Vanda light. It blooms well. It is mounted, and so gets almost daily water, but that is probably not appropriate for your conditions. (I am in South Florida.)

So I agree with the others: more light!

5. Jon

Jon Mmmm... bulbophyllum...

Direct sun. 500fc is WAY too little.

6. Clark

Clark Gator Member

Mine grows brightess light I can get in the greenhouse.
    Watered 2 or 3 times a week. Does not like to be repotted.

7. piggy30

piggy30 Free?

Mine is in s/h and sits with the cattleyas and such. It's been a reliable bloomer.

Cathy

8. John Klinger

John Klinger Active Member Supporting Member

Mine is mounted on tree fern, hung high and lot of light, misted 3/4 times a week.

9. Karen

Karen Species nut

I'll joing the "fry it" chorus!
    The leaves on mine are VERY light green. Nearing yellow! It's a reliable bloomer for me.

10. Dale

Dale New Member

"Planted on 5" clay pot"

In my experience, they don't bloom well until they overgrow the edge of the pot.

"500fc of light most of the time."

Very few flowering plants will bloom in that light. Certainly, no orchid epiphytes I can think of.

"Misted daily"

Stop that. If the pseudobulbs begin to look more than a little wrinkled spray the roots if that makes you feel better.

"drenched weekly..fed with either weak Montys Joy Juice or dyna-gro in rotation....this was on advice...

Stop that, too. The plant doesn't need fertilizer if it's not growing. Nutrients are supplied to epiphytes via run-off from the host/substrate upon which they're growing. When it rains. Excess nitrogen will produce nice growths that probably won't bloom. Phalaenopsis growers shouldn't be giving advice for maxillaria culture.

"day temps 55*-90* depnding on time of year...night temps 50*-60* again depending on time of year."

That doesn't sound too bad and certainly not outside of what my plants receive.

The 500fc astounds me, though. Other than a few leaf-litter species, I can't think of too many orchids that will survive, for any length of time, in light that low.

Regard your plants with a view to what their vegetative characteristics indicate re: evolution and adaptation to the environment. It's not reasonable to expect that plants with a long, narrow leaves have evolved to a habitat in which there is low light. Similarly, it's not reasonable to think a plant with broad, soft leaves is adapted to full sunlight.

Forrest. Will you please start a topic on how leaf/plant characteristics indicate environmental needs? Thank you.

11. Clark

Clark Gator Member

And the Forrest topic is where? Dang, I have learn so much from Dale (seriously).

12. Forrest

Forrest Really Neat

I grow mine outdoors in very high light and it blooms decently. It did not bloom until it was overflowing its basket though.

13. Brant

Brant dazed

good info Dale, mine is also outside all year is out to the edge of the pot and quite lush..maybe this year ??
    they seem tolerant of low to mid 30's (if dry) and up to 115 (if damp).