Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Moonlight?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PhalGal, Apr 4, 2015.

1. PhalGal

PhalGal Rachel

After forgetting to close the window shades that surround my orchids and waking up to find them all bathed in the light of this current full moon, I couldn't help but wonder if it is beneficial or affects the plants at all. Might sound silly but it made me think, seeing as moonlight is a natural rhythmic occurrence in the environments from which all our plants originated. Any thoughts?

2. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

The intensity of light reflected from the moon is SO slight, that it has absolutely no effect on anything.

The human eye is VERY adaptive that it can perceive extremely low light levels, which may lead to the ability of the moon to affect one's heart, but that's all.

3. Dave The Scientist

Dave The Scientist Active Member

I'm with Ray on this one. Moonlight is so dim that it shouldn't have any effects on plants. Shutting the blinds every night and opening them in the morning every day sounds like a huge pain.

4. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

It never occurred to me to worry about moonlight. The species seem to survive in situ with moonlight, so I wouldn't give it a second thought. There are some who recommend pollinating around the time the full moon.

5. PhalGal

PhalGal Rachel

Well I wasn't worried about it...I liked it. I just thought it would be cool to discuss it. And I too believe very much in timing certain garden tasks with the full moon. Its also not a big deal to open and close the blinds, I like privacy from neighbors and being able to diffuse direct sun on my plants.