Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Moss on Dendrophylax lin. mount taking over

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Smets, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Smets

Smets New Member

I could use some advise as to whether the Moss will be OK and not smoother the orchid or if I should remove as much as possible.

Currently I periodically remove as much as possible but it keeps coming back in force. I plan to keep my other mounts clean although the the Chilos don't seem to mind.

In the second photo you can see where i have scrapped it away again. It has found its way under the roots this time though and is precarious to remove. 20170403_091305.jpg 20170407_112130.jpg Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Kipper likes this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't think it is going to do well with the moss. These like to be humid, but not wet. Some people grow them hanging on a wire so they dry quickly.

3. Smets

Smets New Member

I bought this one and another in July of 2015 as 3cm root span babies. They are doing OK so far but that may explain the slow growth. I don't fertilize much either though.

20150720_102835.jpg

Here they are today. I removed as much moss as possible from the one mentioned earlier.

1491674188780-2015669974.jpg
    I noticed a new root as well.

1491674289510316007125.jpg

Here is a second picture from today of one I purchased in July 2015. They are getting to be a decent size but I think I need to offer a little more fertilizer and ensure they dry out before night.

1491674112670-1894476914.jpg

The spaghnum moss in the bottom of the tank has reactivated and is growing like crazy also.

1491674877778-294316187.jpg

4. Marni

I am growing some in flask for a customer. A friend who has gotten an FCC on his said not to take them out of flask until they roots are 2 to 3 inches long. So you started small, but they are alive and attached to the mount. I think some dilute fertilizer would be a good idea and letting them dry between waterings.

Smets likes this.
  5. Fumiaki Takahashi

Fumiaki Takahashi miniature orchidaholic

If there is moss, than it is probobly to moist.
    Give it more fresh air, and I would mist the roots lightly every day and stop watering.
    They like lots of air movment and very high humidity.
    It's ok of you get some green algal growth, just not to much.
    I think moss is prety, but to much can cause root rot.
    Hope this helps.

tong tsu shi likes this.
  6. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

My personal observations, with several unsuccessful attempts that led to good results are:
    • Bright light.
    • Maximum humidity.
    • Zero air movement.
    And, echoing Marni's comment, they seemed to always do better on a plastic-coated hardware cloth (wire mesh) for me, rather than on a traditional mount. Following a Hauserman's example, I grew them in a cylindrical glass vase.

7. Fumiaki Takahashi

Zero air movment?
    Mine half rotted away with no air movment.
    I think it's interesting how different orchids can be grown.

tong tsu shi likes this.
  8. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

There must have been another aspect of your culture that "got to them," then. In the wild, they are in an area that is hot and dead still, most of the time, with close to 100% humidity.

Marni likes this.
  9. Fumiaki Takahashi

Very interesting.
    Maybe my plant was raised diferently (mine is seed-grown).

tong tsu shi likes this.
  10. tong tsu shi

tong tsu shi my first word was Masdevallia

Very nicly grown!
    I do not have one of these, I think I should get one.
    Hope it does well.

11. speciosa

speciosa Member

I had one for many years, did just what you did, pulling off the moss incrementally when it threatened. Eventually the mount (tree fern block) began to go, I conducted surgery...unsuccessful surgery...and lost the plant within a week. Moral of the story? I'd continue to pluck the moss from the mount as necessary unless the plant was declining...(Just my .02!) Good luck!

12. Smets

Smets New Member

Thank you for all the replies. I will keep scraping the moss off. I am also going to watch for it in the future with my other babies.

I hope to begin to breed them in time.

13. Smets

Smets New Member

The new root is progressing nicely but...the mount is now growing mushrooms lol. Not sure how that came about. I just watered so the mount is wet.
    20170509_105943.jpg

You can see a few caps about to burst out of the moss. Not sure how to feel. Maybe the mycellium will help the lindenii grow. Maybe I should cut the mount and attach it to hardwood.

20170509_113537.jpg

Attached Files:

14. Marni

You are probably growing it too wet. That they want high humidity is not the same as wet. I think that in each picture you have posted the mount is soaking wet. Maybe you water just before taking pictures.

15. Smets

Smets New Member

Yes, I had just watered. I gently spray them in the morning and they dry out by night.

The roots seem to have longer tips when I water them a little each morning. The tip length gets smaller when not watered for a day or two. I will experiment watering every other day with this one and see if it helps and still grows strong. The mount is old and seems to hold moisture longer. The hardwood mounts seem to be holding up better.

16. oisifml

oisifml Active Member

If you look at the successful attempts at growing this very difficult orchid, you see that the one common denominator is high humidity,
    Having the plant soaking in wet moss though seems a little far fetched, after a time the moss can actually hinder the growth and even kill the plant. I find it exceptional that yours seems to grow over time and maybe this cultivation method actually works.
    With mine, I do provide a very soft almost imperceptible air movement but the plants are in a tank. I mist them but do not water them, I know a producer in France that actually cleans his dendrophilax that get a little greenish with moss on the roots with a weak solution of hydrogen peroxide.

17. Smets

Smets New Member

Thank you for the reply. I use a hand held spray bottle to water them. That is interesting about the hydrogen peroxide.

How long have you had your lindenii? Have you managed to bloom them in the past? I would love to compile a list of water analysis reports from people who have grown and bloomed them successfully.

The moss growing around them was accidental. I need a better tool to clean out the rest. I don't want to hit the root which grew into the crevasse.

I only take pictures with them watered so that is why they look wet in all of the pictures. They are dry by night when I turn out the lights. Also in the winter I reduce watering.

Two years of pure water paired with high humidity encouraged the growth of mosses. I purchased a chilochista with moss on it and somehow contaminated the other mount. It was interesting when the dried spaghnum moss reactivated and started growing.