Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

My plants new home: Chaiyaphum Province, Thailand

Discussion in 'Growing Areas' started by gjanick, Jan 22, 2024.

1. gjanick

gjanick Active Member

My life certainly has been filled with major changes in the last 13 months. Our mountain-top home in the small rural village of Huai Ton, Chaiyaphum Province (about 25 km outside the city of Chaiyaphum) is the 4th home I have lived in the last 13 months in 3 different cities and provinces: Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, and now Chaiyaphum. I certainly hope this is my final destination as I am very happy with my life now (being 74 years old). I am guessing that my 30 or so orchids probably feel the same way. But the plants have survived the moves and the changes.

The orchids now live in a thatch/straw hut and lot accross the street/alley/(Thai word is soi) from our home (there is one picture with a white SUV parked in the driveway that shows our home). I finally have met the lady that I will live with for the rest of my life and her family has accepted me as father and grandfather. Jirawan and I will marry next month. We all are very gratefull and happy!

The pictures of the plants show that I have a lot of work to do cleaning up and organising the clutter on the ground. This is still supposed to be the 'cooler' season in Thailand, but it already is getting quite hot during the day. This hut of ours is also a 'community gathering place' w getting together with our neighbors almost every day.

Only one plant is in bloom right now, but I have included two pics of of two orchids that will be in full bloom soon.

Thanks for reading my story.

Attached Files:

J E likes this.
  2. Arne

Arne Active Member

Those pictures make me think of vacation.
    When I’m looking at the degree of shading, isn’t that a bit too much for some of the plants? Maybe you can remove some of the straws in part of the roof?

3. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

First of all, congratulations on the upcoming nuptials and new family.

I agree with Arne’s comments.

4. gjanick

gjanick Active Member

Thanks Arne and Ray. You two are probably right--however, the orchids are doing really quite well. They are hanging right at the edge of the hut and they do receive direct and indirect sunshine half a day. I think they look the healthiest since I have moved 4 times. Time will tell.