Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

New terrarium growing area

Discussion in 'Growing Areas' started by rollinkansas, Feb 18, 2014.

1. rollinkansas

rollinkansas Active Member

So my Rubbermaid tub actually worked amazingly, and was probably the most KISS system out there, but it bothered me that there was always one side of the tub I couldn't view, since I had it up against the wall. Unfortunately some of the orchids on the side I couldn't see didn't make it since I couldn't monitor them, so I had to make a change. Decided on 2 18x18x24s instead in the same useable space so I could actually see my plants. Only setup for a day, but already enjoying it. Its not complete yet, as I am going to add square pots to maximize space on the bottom, and need more fans.

I think Ill have the left tank as a high humidity enclosure for most of my pleuros and the right tank I will keep a little drier for my bulbos, dryadellas, and others that don't seem to fare well with the constant watering. On the bright side (or possibly a negative), I hate having open spaces so now I will have a lot more filling up to do. Still not enough ground room for me, but it'll do for now.

2r3k2gw.jpg

mossbear likes this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Those look great! You do have some space, but I'll be that won't last long.

Julie Kennon likes this.
  3. rollinkansas

Thanks, I like them a lot better...Im just hoping the plants like them as well.

4. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Very nice, Mike. You have room for another trip to Andy's.

Julie Kennon likes this.
  5. rollinkansas

Please dont remind me lol. You are right though, Im sure there is a lot more to his greenhouse I didnt see, if I had more time. But I want to save the money for a trip where I can see these in the wild, along with the reptiles I would love to see. Maybe a trip to Panama is in order.

Marni likes this.
  6. chicago chad

chicago chad Active Member

Ah... I see you bit the bullet and gave in. They look nice and will continue to do so as things adjust. If I can offer a bit of advice after using the same tanks, I have found it very important to raise the plants off the bottom. Perhaps just a bit more than with the eggcrate alone. The square frame can create pockets that fill with water and such. Also, I make little hangers with plant ties to suspend potted plants. I also cut plexiglass for the tops to seal in more air, but if you are not using fans you may be on the right track. There is certainly a feeling out process and what you have been doing seems to be working quite well, so my suggestions are mine alone. You are correct that the floor space runs out quick, especially when the mounted plants run the length of the walls.

Don't worry about filling in space. People like myself have all types of minis to trade.

Just be careful, the damn tanks start to take over. One wall of my room is lined with them, but it is still far cheaper than any GH.

7. rollinkansas

The tops of the tanks do have pieces of glass cut that hold in the humidity. You are right about the eggcrate on the floor, I use that in all my plant containers.. I ran out so havent had the material to raise it up yet. I thought about hanging pots on the walls too but was afraid that would cut even more light from reaching the bottom. I do have a 55 gallon in the basement for larger non orchid plants, but will have to hold myself back from attempting to add orchids to that as well.

8. Kermie

Kermie Tadpole Supporting Member

Lookin' good and still relatively simple. I loved the affordability of your rubbermaid terrarium, but it did bother me that you couldn't see. You're very ingenious :)
    How do you attach the egg crate to the sides?
    What temperatures do you maintain?

9. rollinkansas

Thanks. I wrapped thin floral wire around the eggcrate, then through the top of the tank where the clips are on top. I taped up the entire rim of the top so that also helps hold it in place...you can see the wires sticking out of top of tanks. I honestly have no idea on the temps, I never measured them. Whatever room temp I have..probably upper 60s to low 70s.

10. Julie Kennon

Julie Kennon Member

What types of tanks are these? I am looking to set something like this. I'm using a small tank that I know is only going to big enough for a minute or two. I've read some about different types of lights/bulbs, could you tell me what your using or make any suggestions about them? Andy's is great, I only had a few hours and had Bill show me mostly what I would be able to grow in my conditions. But with a tank I would be able to grow ones needing more humidity...I was very drawn to the ones in those conditions. Thanks for sharing your system.

11. rollinkansas

They are called Exo Terra tanks. They are made for reptiles. They also have ones from a company called Zoo Med that are the same size, but have 1 big swinging door, instead of the 2 doors on the Exo Terra. Lights are just whatever 3 foot shoplights I found at Home Depot..I think either T5 or T8.

12. chicago chad

chicago chad Active Member

Julie if you would like me to send you a paper I wrote on growing in enclosures I can. I did it for a talk on the subject for my local society. It lists where to purchase the supplies, how much they cost, what can be expected, plants to grow, ect. If you would like it message me an email.

13. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

Great setups. I've been using 4 of these for the last 2 years. The downside I am now experiencing is that they are too small. Roots are growing rampant into neighboring mounts. The things you grow are a lot smaller than the things I grow though, so these will probably work awesome for you! Keep us updated.

I agree with chad - elevation is important. Mine are about 3" off the bottom, I am required to empty out retained water every 1-2 months. It's tedious. Once, I let it go too long, and rotted half my potted collection (capillary action is surprisingly strong and effective!!)