Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

oldtime orchid lover - new orchid grower

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by msredneck, Dec 18, 2012.

1. msredneck

msredneck New Member

Hi everyone - I tried once in 1995 to grow orchids, had a studio (jewelry design) in Brooklyn, next to Bklyn Botanic Garden, but the time wasn't right, and I had to close my studio, and give away my orchids. Anyway, I knew nothing about nurturing orchids, had been to a couple International orchid shows in the Financial Center, part of the Twin Towers, and fell in love, but love wasn't enough. All of that is just a memory now.

I'm back in Mississippi now, and I came across a few phals in a struggling nursery. They were in sore need of re-potting, so I brought them home, set up lights, re-potted them and now have several plants producing numerous spikes. Next chapter: setting up grow areas in my house. I especially like mounted orchids, paphs, and mini types, and plants from Central America, where I spent some time.

anyway, here goes nothing...

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

3. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hi and welcome to OI! I'm from right around New Orleans, so we should have pretty similar growing conditions. Where in MS are you located? There are some very knowledgeable people with really cool plants in the Gulf Coast Orchid Society.

4. Brent W

Brent W Owner Staff Member

Welcome to our forums :)

5. orchidnut57

orchidnut57 Member

Welcome! All it takes is a renewed interest and BAM! you are an orchid grower! Enjoy!

6. Paul Mc

Paul Mc Member

Hello and welcome!!!!

7. msredneck

msredneck New Member

Well, goods - unfortunately, I'm not in the gulf area, I live in the Delta - Greenville. I was, however, born in New Orleans, though I haven't been there in a long time. I am not aware of any orchid enthusiasts in my area, though there probably are some within a 50 mile radius. Pleased to make your acquaintance.

8. msaar

msaar Member

Welcome; you're nearly equidistant from growers I know in your area. I'm in Little Rock, and I know folks in Memphis, Jackson, and Monroe(LA). Hopefully you will find people a little closer.

9. Reyna

Reyna Orchid Obsessed Supporting Member

Hi and welcome. You have found the right place online at least. Good luck with settling yourself and your plants into their new home as well.