Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Podangis dactyloceras

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Mary Jane, Dec 31, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

okay, it sits there in it's epiweb pot with bark, warmish and slightly shaded. It glares at me with hatefilled eyes. how do you grow yours, would it be happier mounted? (i mean, who doesn't like that, right?)
    Anyway, about the plant. I would like to see this one thrive but if it doesn't stop cursing my existance and spitting at me for no good reason, I will have to kill it. Not a good way to start the year. So please, how do you grow yours and how do you keep it happy?
    I grow my orchids in winter in a spare bedroom with iffy humidity. Thank you for your help. :cool:

2. Forrest

Forrest Really Neat

I would suggest mounting it. I grow mine Intermediate and bright. It blooms its ass off.

3. DawnC

DawnC New Member

Ditto on mounted (and well yea!) intermediate and bright. Bloomed for the first time this year.

4. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I had been growing it potted for several years, 55 F nights, moderately bright light, and it bloomed well. After the last blooming, I mounted it, have moved it to a bit less bright spot and the roots are very happy. Time will tell on the blooming.

5. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

Thank you, all. I think I have a spare hydrolog laying about, I might try that. The biggest issue will be the humidity. And of course, next summer's heat. Maybe I should just give it away NOW. LOL.

6. Tom_in_PA

Tom_in_PA I am not an addict

I'll take it :poke: ;)

7. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Anglican Supporting Member

Don't give it to him, give it to me!!! I'm a freakin' Anglican for gods sake... ;)

Besides, I killed mine earlier this year trying to grow it in a pot. I had another that I gave away that was a lot bigger and was mounted, so I'd like to try to grow yours mounted, please. thanks

p.s. I still sometimes wake up sobbing over the death of your leonis. :(

8. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

MJ, you also can grow this one in a small basket, but be sure you use very open mix and water it when it is dry. I have had mine on cork mount for six years or so and it has done well with decent rh. 2000FC is good light level for this species.

9. DawnC

DawnC New Member

Tom dear, whats your perception of "decente" RH?

10. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

What is "decente", Dawno? I think 70% is decent % of rh, but higher is better.

11. DawnC

DawnC New Member

Tom dear, it's a French term, from France.

12. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

Thanks TomDE, for your input, too. I appreciate all help.

13. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

When I was orchid geeking this morning, I checked on my plant. It is still in the epiweb pot with bark, btw.
    It has three spikes a'comin. I'm stoked. So stoked I want to order new plants. there is nothing like *potentially* blooming a new plant to whet the appetite for new ones, is there? Keep your fingers crossed for my spikes, please.