Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Question about miticide shelf life

Discussion in 'Issues, Disease and Pests' started by CactuSteve_JP18, Mar 23, 2019.

1. CactuSteve_JP18

CactuSteve_JP18 New Member

I have a cactus collection in Los Angeles, and oddly enough, cacti are prone to the same pest mite problems orchid and carnivorous plant growers contend with. My miticides of choice are Avid and TetraSan -- both are highly effective (in fact I wouldn't be without them), so I just wanted to find out if anyone knows what the shelf life is for these products.

Thanks!

2. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Unless there is an expiration date on the bottle, most all chemical pesticides will remain active for years (at least 5) on the shelf, as long as you keep it sealed and out of direct sunlight and heat.

3. CactuSteve_JP18

CactuSteve_JP18 New Member

Thanks, Ray!

I've always been good about keeping my pesticides stored under the conditions you describe, so no problems there. TetraSan is a powder, so my feeling is that it has quite a long shelf life in its dry form. If anyone else has a thought about the TetraSan, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

By the way, orchid and cactus grower A. Dean Stock recommended TetraSan to me years ago -- some of the best advice I ever got!