Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Rhynchostylis (Rhy.) gigantea (Lindl.) Ridl. 1896 var. vivaphandhul

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by gjanick, Feb 8, 2024.

1. gjanick

gjanick Active Member

(Marni. Please move this thread to a different forum like hybrids if you think it should be relocated.)

I am not sure if this orchid should be in this forum in species or hybrids. I bought it from one of the Thai vendors that does keep good track of the ID's of the plants. I am sure that it is of the particular species 'Rhy. gigantea var. vivaphandhul' and that is how this wonderful Thai vendor sold it to me. It is the orange/peach form of the plant. So, does this make this specific plant a hybrid or is my plant still considered a species?

I have had this plant for 1.5 years or so. It tried blooming one time before but the buds failed to bloom flowers. However, this time it has succeeded. Looking at my individual plant file (also attached in this thread), this orchid has had 4 different homes in the last 14 months and survived three different major moves. I think the plant is happy with its new and final home--LOL.

Attached Files:

2. Arne

Arne Active Member

It looks like an orange variety of the species, at least to me.

Based on how the medium looks, once it has finished blooming, put the plant in a new basket without any medium (that should be best in your climate). Strap it so it cannot move the slightest. Rhynchostylis hates repotting so expect almost no growth for several months. I had mine for nine years before I repotted it last year and because of that it didn't bloom this year. But it is recovering, albeit slowly.

gjanick and Marni like this.
  3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

A lot of plants have a variety name added. Some have been published properly and many are names in "horticultural" usage but not necessarily ones that have been properly published. KEW no longer seems to list this so hard to tell.

The import part is that the variety has no affect on the species name. So as far as I can see, you have this in the right place.

gjanick likes this.
  4. gjanick

gjanick Active Member

Thanks Marni.

Marni likes this.