Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Rootless phal trying to bloom?!

Discussion in 'Issues, Disease and Pests' started by Cece, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Cece

Cece New Member

Hi fellow orchid lovers!

I have a beloved Phal that was going well until a bad re-pot led to all of its roots rotting away.

I was desperate to save it so have been using the Spag and Bag method to try and encourage its roots to grow back. It's been a few months now and my poor plant is looking wrinkly as ever but just hanging in there so I've left it alone.

To my utter suprise, i came home yesterday to find that there is new growth coming from one of the nodes on the stem - My silly plant is attempting to either put out a keiki or some new blooms despite having no roots!

Can anyone offer some advice as to what i should do? Should i remove the stem completely or just leave it alone and let nature take it's course?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached Files:

2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Hi, Cece. Welcome to the forum.

It looks like your plant is trying to put out a new spike from the old one. This is a common thing for Phals to do. However, for a dehydrated plant with no roots you don't want this to happen. I recommend that you remove the entire old spike so the plant can focus on surviving and putting on roots. Good luck.

3. Cece

Cece New Member

Thanks for your help Kelly, its a really thick and healthy spike which is why i've been reluctant to cut it but it seems like the best thing for the plant right now.