Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

rules??

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by dounoharm, Dec 9, 2008.

1. dounoharm

dounoharm almost there

i recieved an email from joh saying that there were rules posted somewhere and i should read em???? re: selling plants without a permit???? you have to donate to adv plants for sale?? ok but where are the rules??? and why didnt it state that as i was adv my plant??? lord know i dont want to break rules being a newbie, but somehow the rules need to be easily found to be read....there was nothing posted under the selling of plants that warned me....so sorry i broke the rules and i will NEVER EVER BREAK EM AGAIN! nor will i list plants for sale here again or even post....one hand smaking is all i need to know i am not welcome....this isnt a friendly sandbox tom....

2. Home Grown

Home Grown Hakuna Matata

In the for trade/sale section there is a sticky with the rules.;)

3. Brant

Brant dazed

right above your POST in the trade/sale section

4. Tom_in_PA

Tom_in_PA I am not an addict

I think the message said you posted an item for sale before the rules were posted so it was fine to leave it be. Going forward though it is required that we all follow these rules for selling plants. These rules are found in the "For trade/sale" area of the forum and are a sticky thread so it will allows be on the top for quick easy reference.

Here is a direct link as well

http://www.orchidsinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=386

If you have any questions please feeel free to let someone know as everyone would love to help you out :)

5. dounoharm

dounoharm almost there

ok so i am giving your sandbox another shot at me....but still i am not happy about the adv rules...it seems that you are actively discouraging anyone from listing plants for sale....$2 per plant paid in advance is much higher than ebay fees! i realize you want to make money here, but even so wouldnt it generate more interest if you had some listings? and who would pay so much for an ad when you dont have a strong market, or even know if you will sell such plant.....:bang:

why have a 'plants for sale' thread if you discourage people from listing? (i love looking at what everyone else has for sale, and i would rather buy from a forum member than on ebay) i dont think a small forum like this will be bombarded with huge sellers from ebay or even many small sellers like myself....there just isnt a market share here to fight over, minimal exposure. the ads are simply something new to browse thru for the forum members.....seems like ya'll would be actively encouraging new threads of ANY nature to get this forum off the ground....

the sticky seems rather harshly put besides....and so....'arbitrary' which some people find 'offensive'...(me)

understand, i am NOT interested in adv here anymore....but i like browsing thru the want ads in the newspaper too, ads are interesting, stimulating, and creative. i want the forum members to have the right to adv here without any hassles. what else are you reserving the adv space for anyway? you want to just feature one or two sellers? ok then just take out the part of the thread that says 'trade or sell your plants or orchid related items here'....if you arent going to allow it to be used as stated. and get some adv going....

ok i took up enuf room grouching....and i am just bored anyway, there isnt much of interest to read today....and i just thot it would be nice to be a little more 'user friendly' here.:bang:

6. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

:rolleyes: That gives me migraine headache!:rolleyes:

7. Forrest

Forrest Really Neat

Ok, lets try this again. Please try to keep up this time.

This forum was built by a couple of orchid hobbyists. This is not our day job. Building it and keeping it running happens because we have day jobs and is done out of the joy of having a place like this to go to.

Also, there are several members who have been generous enough to help us with those costs by donating to this forum. Again, this was done out of the kindness of their hearts and the joy of having a place like this to go to.

It is the combination of these things that keep the lights on and the IP flowing.

As far as selling plants on Orchids Interactive is concerned, I dont feel that the rules are discouraging to anyone who is actually a member here and actively participates. The rules are put in place to discourage folks who are not active members from coming here and using this as an outlet to further their commercial ventures.

So, just so we are on the same page about these rules, lets review, shall we?

1.You have contributed to the forum recently. Ok, this one seems pretty obvious, but what it means is that if you have helped out the forum recently, then the forum is happy to help you out by letting you hawk your wares on the forum.

2. You have contributed $2 for each plant you want to list prior to listing it. Ok, this one is really for people who just want to sign up to the forum and sell their plants. This is not what this forum is about, but if you must, then this is how you do it. What this is intended for is so that people dont come over here, spam the forum, sell their wares and then bail. It is a token of commitment to the success of the forum.

3. You get permission from either the section Moderator, Jon or Forrest. This is the real zinger. I mean, come on. Lets say you cant afford to contribute financially but this forum is obviously your home and you participate regularly. Then you would ask. You might be surprised.

Again, all of this is just to prevent people from signing up, spamming us with all of their crap for sale and then bailing when they get their money.

Does that make sense? If not please let me know, I am happy to review any of the areas that are "foggy" at any time.

Thanks.

8. Jon

Jon Mmmm... bulbophyllum...

Thanks Forrest.

9. Tom-DE

You are da man, Mr. M!:clap:

10. dounoharm

dounoharm almost there

hi forrest....just to engage here...out of boredom... 1-2)contributions.. if you want to make the sale section for paying members only, then state it as such...dont leave open invitations lying about....someone might want to take you up on it........spammers dont ask anyones permission, they spam wham bam and bail anyway, not much you can do about it....and i think most people have enuf sense, they see spammers as what they are and dont buy from em, hence spammers arent what the rules are made for...3)i suppose asking permission is a fine thing to do, and it is rightly said that if you want to email 'support' and ask permission to adv, then do so....but it shouldnt be said that you have to kiss up to anyones particular butt to adv......which is how it seems....am i kissing sweetly? heeeheee

maybe its the wording of your sticky that is so clumsy and unyeilding that bugs me....yes, i think thats it, there is no finesse or tact in the above and forementioned sticky.....which maybe why you dont have any advertisements!

now i know in my heart that getting advertisements is not a big issue here, but it does provide interesting reading and something to do on an otherwise gloomy and dreary day, and heck, you might get some trading going on even! so give it a shot, loosen up a llittle bit here and lighten up some....thats all i want, a nice loose easy forum, with no hassle, and no heckling. (do you get where i am coming from? or are you still in a cubicle making rules?)

rules are all well and good, but usually in a sandbox the rules are pretty much understood...sometimes rowdy and boistrous, sometimes calm and self contained.....

11. dounoharm

dounoharm almost there

and yes this is achieving my goal.....getting a conversation going.....

12. Forrest

Forrest Really Neat

Oh, I get where you are coming from. I just don't know if you get where I am coming from. There will be no ads here. Sorry, you want ads, go to anyone of the other orchid forums out there. This one will remain by the people, for the people.

I am happy to dialog with you about this, but I cant help feeling like maybe you are just trying to pick a fight. I think I explained things pretty clearly, it is by no means a "pay to play" system. It really is meant to keep the abusers from abusing, plain and simple.

13. Jon

It sounds like you are trying very hard to get something for free. That's cool. I can appreciate that. But when you are using my bandwidth and my server space to generate cash for yourself, I want a piece of the action. If you're under financial duress, I may be nice and let you sell some plants. Even if I don't like you. And I don't.

14. dounoharm

dounoharm almost there

ah jon, finally you speak! i dont want to sell on your bandwidth, i thot i made myself clear on that...i am a freedom fighter, fighting for the rights of all forum members to enjoy 'for sale/trade' 'Trade or sell your plants or orchid related items here.' without prejudice or prejudication...as you seem to have done....dont know why you dont like me, dont really care, but i am reserving judgement on you for a bit yet, i think you are confused....are you going to ban me because you dont like me or what i have to say?

15. Jon

Why would I ban you? Because you have a different perspective on this than I do?

Anyhow, your freedom cruisade is fruitless. The policy will not change.

16. Einstein

Einstein Expatriate

thanks a bunch but I don't need you, nor do I want you fighting for my rights.
    I agree with Jon and Forrest. Your intent here seems to just make trouble.

*edit* you don't own a bunch of rabbits do you?

17. Tom-DE

Huh? IMO, you are fighting for yourself and the freaking $2, and on and on. :rolleyes:The forum rule is made for everyone and it is not going to change for one individual. Get over it!

BTW, I don't give a shred where you are coming from either.

Okay, the honeymoon is over. Carry on!

18. Posey

Posey New Member

I don't get migranes, but if I did, I'd have one right about now. :bang::bang::bang:

19. Karen

Karen Species nut

LOLOL!
    *edit* you don't own a bunch of rabbits do you?

Too funny!

20. dounoharm

dounoharm almost there

ok cool, the masses have spoken! i am relieved to finally hear from them, i thot they were missing! all i wanted was a dialoge and i sure got one! thank you all!