Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Sarcodes?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by KellyW, Sep 14, 2015.

1. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

I came across this in a Sitka spruce forest on the N. California coast this weekend. I initially thought it was a Corallorhiza orchid but now believe it to be Sarcodes sanguinea, common name of snow plant. Can anyone confirm? It was brighter red than my phone camera portrays it.
    Sarcodes sp-500.jpg

Kipper likes this.
  2. annabanana1987

annabanana1987 Active Member

Its very pretty what ever it is !

3. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

What a find, Kelly!

I think you're right on the ID. It is typically a spring-flowering, but with all of the extremes we're seeing in the weather and overall climate, who's to say why it bloomed?

4. KellyW

Thanks, Ray. When I read about them I realized it was out of it's normal flowering time. This was growing in a very protected area in a "cave" formed by exposed roots of a huge old-growth spruce. The conditions may have provided a micro-environment that prompted it to flower now.

5. John Klinger

John Klinger Active Member Supporting Member

Very nice find Kelly, there is a lot of stuff growing in that part of the coast

6. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Cool, Kelly. I think I have seen it when I was in Kings Canyon NP. I looked up this species after you posted it, and I didn't know that it is in Ericaceae.

7. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

Kelly - neat find, and cool colour. We saw lots of these in Sequoia, blooming in July, but none as pink as the one you saw (they were more reddish)

[​IMG]

8. KellyW

Naoki, it surprised me too that it is in Ericaceae.

Calvin and Naoki, based on my reading you were seeing it in it's more typical habitat and flowering season. It is typically in high elevations and flowers through mid summer. The one I saw was 10 meters or less above sea level and photographed September 12.

xmpraedicta likes this.