Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

saving dehydrated orchid

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Linda1954, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Linda1954

Linda1954 New Member

Hi..I am completely new to growing orchids but can grow pretty much everything else. I am trying to resurrect a dehydrated soft 2 leaved orchid with only 1 root left. The root that is remaining is shriveled and brown until half way down then firm and green. It has a new leaf that has been growing lately. It is in a bit of water and all dead roots removed. I have followed instructions on YouTube, tea baths, etc. but no luck. Should I remove the soft leaves and just let the new leaf take over? Replant? I don't like to give up so I will try anything that might help. Thanks.

2. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    Could you, please, post some photos of your plant?

3. Linda1954

Linda1954 New Member

green root is getting softer, crown black but firm orchid2.png

4. Linda1954

Linda1954 New Member

as you can see it has 4 leaves not just 2 as I had stated plus a new one coming

5. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

I would cut the root, because it is already rotted and I would repot the plant in fresh media - I put some leca / aliflor on the bottom of the pot for better drainage and I use a combination of 2p sphagnum moss and 1 part medium bark, but other phalaenopsis-specific mixes are good, too.
    If you can, use transparent plastic pot and water only when the media is dry. Transparent pot helps you to see the roots and also to know when to water. :) I'm not a big fan of plastic pots, but sometimes I find them helpful.
    I would hold the plant in place by its leaves, with soft wire, like this one :
    Rapiclip, Soft Wire Tie, 16'
    Please see the attached photos, which I hope speak better than me :)

The new leaf gives me hope...

Attached Files:

6. Linda1954

Linda1954 New Member

Thanks so much..I will repot shortly..is it ok to leave the plant out of all planting medium just on a dish on the counter until I get pot and moss/supplies, 1-2 days? It was also suggested just to place in pot on top of damp moss to hopefully encourage roots. Do you agree?

7. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

Yes, I think it is OK to leave it dry for 2 more days.
    :) And yes, sphagnum moss might work, too. I wouldn't keep it dump, but wet and I would put a layer of leca(or even gravel) for drainage on the bottom of the pot....Generally I avoid pure sphagnum with phals, because I have a tendency to overwater my plants and sphagnum keeps a lot of moisture. For other people who does not have this problem I know it works great.
    Whatever you choose, I think it is better to not bury the base of the plant. Just put it on the media.
    I hope this helps.

8. Linda1954

Linda1954 New Member

Great advice...thanks. I will let you know how things progress.