Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Saying hello

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Oleva, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Oleva

Oleva New Member

Hi

Have found this forum hoping for some help growing my orchid. A long time ago I bought a huge orchid for an awful lot of money. It was SO sad because over a six month period it died. Over a year ago I bought another one and it's still alive. It has even grown a new leaf and has another one coming. However, something has eaten a chunk out of the new leaf. Another leaf has gone brown at the tip. Should I spray it with a pesticide and if so what? Does anyone know why one leaf has gone brown at tip? Any help appreciated as know it's silly but have grown very fond of it!

2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Hi, Oleva. Welcome to the forum.

We need a lot more information if we are going to help you.
    Do you know what kind of orchid it is?
    Is it grown indoors or out?
    If outside, where do you live?
    How much sun is it getting?

If you can post a photo that would help us.

Here are some posts that will help you get started....
    What Kind of Orchid Do I Have?
    New to orchids? Read this.
    All About Orchids

When you say "something has eaten a chunk out of the new leaf" that sounds like a snail or slug. Typical insecticide won't affect them. Again a photo would tell us a lot.

3. Oleva

Oleva New Member

Here are 3 photos. Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

4. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks for the photos. That always helps.

Your plant is a Phalaenopsis, probably a hybrid. Unless you have a tag with a name on it the exact name or parentage will be nearly impossible to determine. However, that doesn't keep it from being loved and beautiful :).

The leaves have a nice color and look plump so it seems that your culture is good.

The edge damage looks like slug/snail or a large chewing insect (like a grasshopper) or a caterpillar. To make sure there isn't a slug or snail in the pot, submerge the entire pot and medium in a bowl or bucket of water for 1/2 hour. That will drown them or force them to the surface.

I am unsure what the cause of the brown tip is. Hopefully others will reply with more info for you.

5. Oleva

Oleva New Member

6. Oleva

Oleva New Member

Thanks so much for your long reply. I am so pleased you think the leaves look plump. The funny thing is the orchid is kept inside so whatever ate the leaf is living in the house with me! Bit creepy. Thanks once again