Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Saying Hello!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Fran Ricks, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Fran Ricks

Fran Ricks New Member

Hello, my name is Fran. I have just gotten started growing orchids. Through the I could find all I needed online but I guess I’m going to need to dig a little deeper.

I started about nine months ago. Got a system going of repotting as soon as I get it home. Some have been in really nasty media! All have started new roots and are looking fairly well.
    So, I think I was doing something right, all is well, wrong! Many of my Phals have bloom spikes. I’m excited! Only to have the buds fall off!

I hope I can find what the problem is. Any help will be appreciated.

2. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Welcome, Fran.

If you can share your growing conditions, it would help, but there are a number of things that can cause "bud blast".
    • If the problem occurs soon after acquiring the in-bud plant, a sudden change in temperature and/or humidity might play a role.
    • Being in the output of a dry, forced-air heating duct will desiccate the buds.
    • A gas burner, if not properly adjusted or if dirty, can emit ethylene gas, causing the buds to drop. Being near ripening fruit can do the same.
    • An infestation of mites can lead to bud loss, as well. Look closely for tiny webs.
    There are likely more I'm forgetting, so hopefully others will chime in.

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Fran, Welcome to the forum. Hopefully we an help solve your problems. Pictures of the plants will help a lot and as Ray said a description of your growing conditions.

4. Fran Ricks

Fran Ricks New Member

Ray,
    My growing conditions are as follows:
    a. Spare room in my home
    b. LED lights on my shelves
    c. Humidifier, try to keep it between 60% and 90%
    d. Ceiling fan and another 3” fan run 24/7
    e. Space heater, if needed

I fertilize once a month with Jack’s 3-2-1, the Phals are getting Jack’s Blossom Booster 10-30-20 since bloom spikes started. Plain distilled water in between.

I have mostly Phals, but do have Cattleyas, Brassavola, Oncidium and a few Dendrobiums. (By the way, I don’t think Dens like me very much.)

5. Fran Ricks

Fran Ricks New Member

E04FE163-A5CF-48B3-81FB-9D11C1CECED4.jpeg It’s not much…