Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

September blooms

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Nisanisa, Sep 10, 2022.

1. Nisanisa

Nisanisa Active Member

My Vanda tricolor are flowering abundantly. And some Dendrobium aphyllum are starting to bloom. Too many rainy days, leads to scarce flowers.
    IMG_20220911_072859.jpg IMG_20220909_055745-1.jpg IMG_20220911_073016.jpg

gjanick, ash1de and Roberta like this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Your V. tricolor looks great!

3. Nisanisa

Nisanisa Active Member

Thank you. They are old plant. Some grow quite long now. Those are from two different clump.

Marni likes this.
  4. gjanick

gjanick Member

Here too in Chiang Mai it rains everyday. However, our weather is much cooler now. My dens are blooming heavily with new spikes on many plants. My 2 vanda plants are too new, as I just ordered them 10 days ago. But the vanda plants are very healthy and doing great.

It has been sooooooooo humid here! All the orchid plants love it-- I do not. I don't like saunas. LOL.

Your vandas are spectacular! WOW WOW! Yup-- they indeed have enjoyed a long happy life. Greg.

5. Nisanisa

Nisanisa Active Member

Hell
    Hello Greg...
    Sounds like happy days for your orchids. Recently, weather are so unpredictable. Some very hot and sunny days, and the next days are cloudy, rainy, and even with thunderstorm.
    For all of my orchids, that's good. They grow vigorously. Their foliages look so green and lush. Unfortunately, some don't produce flowers as well.
    Thailand surely has lot of beautiful dendrobium hybrid I suppose?

6. gjanick

gjanick Member

Thanks for replying. Yes, the weather is so unpredictable. Because of the rain, I haven't been able to work in my garden for the last 5 days. There has been no sunshine for the last 5 days. Just rain and clouds.

I live in Chiang Mai. Bangkok has major flooding problems, bringing the city (and Thailand) to a standstill. Online orders are not being shipped. Many orders are trapped in warehouses and maybe even the transportation trucks themselves. Luckily I don't have any plant orders right now.

The news and Thai government is downplaying the covid situation to attract more tourists, and they do not track covid anymore. Nisa, covid is stronger than ever in Thailand! My 93 year-old Thai mother died from covid 5 days ago, and my Thai wife is restricted to her bedroom for 4 more days because she also has covid. Our entire Thai family has been vaccinated 3 times, but a person can still get covid.

Yes, Thailand has beautiful dens and vandas. But there are very few online sellers. I don't visit the huge Chiang Mai flower market for several reasons, covid being one of them. I am almost limited to purchase my plants on Shopee Thailand, but there are only a few good orchid sellers. And these sellers have no new plants to sell right now. I will order a few more plants the beginning of October.

So how is Indonesia? In this chaotic and politically messed-up world, how are you doing? Keep in touch. Greg.

7. Nisanisa

Nisanisa Active Member

I take my orchids and other plants as a sanctuary from this crazy and hectic world :D
    I hope I am far from the madding crowd.
    Looking forward to see your delightful dens Greg...

8. gjanick

gjanick Member

I have many plants in spike now and soon will bloom. These include dens, vandas, and catts. All will be first time blooms for me. I also plan on ordering 5 more plants from two different Thai sellers the beginning of next month (payday-- LOL). I already have chosen them and they are saved in my shopping carts.

I don't buy exotic rare expensive plants. I only want the most beautiful ones, even if they are rather common. However, I am very 'picky' on what I carefully choose to order. My Thai wife wouldn't appreciate it if I spent a lot of money on expensive plants. I will post pictures when new blooms appear.

I am just curious-- are you a native Indonesian? Your English is as good as mine. I enjoy chatting with you. Thanks! Greg.

9. Nisanisa

Nisanisa Active Member

Yes, I am an Indonesian native. I am Javanese, just like my Vanda tricolor :)

Marni likes this.