Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Stelis barbata

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Dale, Jun 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Dale

Dale New Member

IW grower. This is a five frame focus stack from a Canon MP-E lense. Flower is c. 2.5mm across.
    stelisbarbatastackmanual.jpg

2. Clark

Clark Gator Member

I hate you. Very nice Dale.

3. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Fantastic photo there, Dale.

4. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

That is exceptional. :clap::clap::clap: I see you went for expedited shipping. How does this lens compare?

I've tried a few stacks today too. I need to practice a bit more, but it was way easier than I expected.

5. Karen

Karen Species nut

Very nice. LOL, expedited shipping!

6. Dale

Dale New Member

"I see you went for expedited shipping."

I have many, many virtues. Patience isn't one of them, though. UPS guy didn't get here 'til 1715 so I kicked him in the balls and ran in the house. After I got my lense.

"How does this lens compare?"

There is no lense to compare it to. If you want better than 1x magnification, this is the lense you want. It's not especially easy to use at first, but I've used it twice before so set up was pretty easy. The lense conveniently has working distances marked for each magnification on the lense barrel. So, I figure the magnification I want, set the magnification on the lense, measure the working distance to the subject, and... there it is!

"I've tried a few stacks today too. I need to practice a bit more, but it was way easier than I expected."

So, did you get your macro slider? I thought you ordered your macro slider the same hour I ordered my lense and you were gonna get your slider a day after I got my lense. Expedited shipping?

It's a fun process. Are you using PhotoShop?

I hate you too, Clark. Thank you.

7. Ann

Ann Beadin' fool

Excellent, Dale. I'm still playing. Downloaded Helicon last night, the trial, but it isn't working so I'll probably uninstall and re-install. See if that works. CombineZP works fine. I just wanted to try the other. That's a great photo and you're right -- this is a fun process.

8. masdevallia

masdevallia Member

WOW!! Lovely!!

9. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

"So, did you get your macro slider? I thought you ordered your macro slider the same hour I ordered my lense and you were gonna get your slider a day after I got my lense. Expedited shipping?"

As a matter of fact, I did get the slider, but not the pistol grip yet. The slider was a 3 day delivery, but came a day early. I'm on hold with b&h right now. The slider has a lot of play in it, tools were included in the box, but no instructions as to what to do with them.

After I got the slider I tried it a bit and it seemed kind of sloppy. I wanted a break, so I went to the gym to swim. After the swim, I slipped on the pool deck (which was slicker than owl shit), sprained my big toe, fell on the concrete on one knee (my. On the bright side, I caught myself before before my head hit the concrete bench nearby, thereby avoiding major damage. So now I am elevating my foot and icing it and my knee which is cutting into my photography time, to say nothing of work.

I am now off the phone with several people at b&h, they referred my to the manufacturer, so I left a message with them and they are going to send an email with the instructions.

*time passes* Got the instructions and tightened up the mechanism, seems good now. Good service from Velbon. I'll try it again later today.

Yes, I am using the new Photoshop for this. Finding some new interface improvements in it (especially in Bridge, the sorting/viewing application) that I am very happy to have.

Sorry to detour your thread.

10. Dale

Dale New Member

Aw geeze, Marni. Sorry you tipped over. I'll start saving bubble wrap. Glad you got the slider and it's tightened up now. Mine didn't come with a tool kit.

I'd rather eat dirt than hijack someone's topic, but I certainly don't mind if others do.

11. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

Oh bullshit. You taught the rest of us how to succesfully hijack a topic, Dale.

12. Dale

Dale New Member

Oh, please. Show me one time where I've hijacked a topic.

13. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

I don't have time to be your memory stick, Dale. I have potatoes to peel.

Oh. I also need to tell you, the Stelis photo is really nice.

14. Brant

Brant dazed

I don't have time to be your memory stick - what a response

that is one awesome photo - way to stack'em :)

15. John Klinger

John Klinger Active Member Supporting Member

Was the photo enlarged about 100x's? Knowing the plant and the size, its hard to believe. Thanks

16. Dale

Dale New Member

"I don't have time to be your memory stick, Dale. I have potatoes to peel."

That's about what I figured. I am not the one having a memory lapse. It's the story of my life; getting in trouble for someone else's crap. I'm gonna have that put on my headstone. Don't peel the potatos. That's where all the vitamins are.

17. Ann

Ann Beadin' fool

:clap:

18. Tom_in_PA

Tom_in_PA I am not an addict

WOW