Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Thelymitra X macmillanii

Discussion in 'Orchid Hybrids' started by Andrew, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Andrew

Andrew Member

Thelymitra X macmillanii: a natural hybrid between Thelymitra antennifera and megcalyptra.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y281_corymbosa_orchids_Thelymitramacmillanii.jpg

2. Brant

Brant dazed

interesting .. how do you grow it ?

3. Andrew

Andrew Member

All of my Australian terrestrials are grown in a solid roofed shade house in Melbourne, Australia. They are under about 50% shade cloth for most of the year. They are summer dormant tuberous orchids so they are kept dry during the summer with a very light sprinkle of water if hot weather is expected over the following days to stop the tubers dehydrating. I begin watering at the end of summer to early autumn and try to keep the mix damp through the growing period. They die down from late spring to early summer at which time I start cutting back on the water. The tubers are susceptible to rotting if the weather is hot and the soil is moist so you need to take care with watering from mid spring to mid autumn. Thelymitra and Caladenia are particularly susceptible to rotting. Most Thely's require warm sunny days for their flowers to open so they probably don't make a good indoor plant. With reqard to potting mix, there are a lot of different mixes that Australians use to grow these orchids. The aim is to have a free draining mix but water retentive mix with a bit of organic matter to keep the mycorrhizal fungi happy. The mix I use is 2 parts coarse sand: 1 part soil: 1 part eucamulch: 1 part eucalypt leaf mould plus a bit of bonemeal. NB: the sand is really more of a fine gravel; Eucamulch is a fine, eucalypt woodchip - woodshavings or fine pinebark should be good substitutes. For the Thely's I use 2 1/2 parts of sand (3 parts sand for the Caladenia I posted). When I repot them I use 1/2 new mix and 1/2 old mix so the fungi bounce back a little faster.

4. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

Thank you for the info, that was great.
    The flowers are pretty darn nice too.

5. Brant

Brant dazed

plenty of Eucalyptus in my area, i could make my own chips and leaf litter.
    thnx for the info