Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

These Bulbos...any good?

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by mrbreeze, Feb 9, 2009.

1. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Anglican Supporting Member

I don't know bulbos. I have Angs. I have books about Angs, not bulbos. I could look these up but it would kill me to devote too much time to bulbos. Plus I know there are bunch of oddballs on here that seem to LOVE them. So anyway, would any of the following be worth buying if one had the opportunity? If so, why? TIA

BULBOPHYLLUM
    ALEXANDRAE 16,00 €
    CARDIOLOBUM 16,00 €
    CHONCHICOIDE 16,00 €
    CORIOPHORUM 16,00 €
    HAMELINII 20,00 €
    LONGIFLORUM 16,00 €
    OCCLUSUM 16,00 €
    OCCULTUM 16,00 €
    PACHYPUS 16,00 €
    SULFUREUM 16,00 €

2. Jon

Jon Mmmm... bulbophyllum...

I'd buy pachypus. That's about the only one on the list though. Sure, a couple of those are pretty swell, but I would call them boutique orchids. In other words, they aren't very spectacular, but for a person who wants to own all bulbos just to own all bulbos, they'd be okay selections. I haven't seen a few of those in cultivation in the US.

3. mrbreeze

Hmmm, alright. Are any of them really small? I mean REALLY small? I have a dearth of space. :(

4. Jon

Jon Mmmm... bulbophyllum...

I dunno. I'm not familiar with them. I'll guess that they aren't very small as most bulbos from that area are ramblers.

5. Ron-NY

Ron-NY New Member

are you planning on importing???

6. mrbreeze

Nah, I'm not. If I lived in Florida I would. But I would only import Angs most likely. They're my preference. :D

7. Clawd

Clawd New Member

Bulbo's - Any Good.

I would get B hamelinii and B occlussum. Actually, I would get lots of them.

B hamelinii has flat disc like bulbs up 4 inches plus in diameter and half an inch thick with quite an interesting flower (mine has not flowered though I have seen photo's).

A B. hamelinii is in the upper right corner of this photo on a cork branch. The image is old and does not do justice to the plant, this one having suffered greatly during Australia's quarantine process. The largest but desiccated bulbs can't be seen.

B occlussum's bulbs about 2 inches in length with leave about 12 inches long. They can get quite orange depending in the light. It has a long raceme of (stinky) flowers as shown in the photo.

These two are great bulbo's.

Regards

JK
    Bulbo occlussum Flower 2_2.jpg

8. Karen

Karen Species nut

YEAH! CLawd, stinky is good!
    Thanks for your pictures!

9. Dale

Dale New Member

Get the hamelinii, Floozo. I bet you could make a very good deal with it.

10. Posey

Posey New Member

Speaking of bulbos,,,I saw the hugest, nicest bulbo phalaenopsis this week in a friends greenhouse. He just got it and I about fainted cause it just didn't strike me as a 'type' of plant I could even imagine him having. And then, it was AT LEAST twice as big as any I have ever seen posted anywhere. And healthy. Wowza zoo, it was grand with two big brand spanking new growths on it.

That's not on your list though and it's mere size would probably give you nightmares as compared to most angraecums.

11. mrbreeze

Ummm, yea, all bulbos give me nightmares compared to any Angraecum. I've decided that, since I tend to prefer Angs, the bulbos can all go straight to hell. Angs only, please.

Floozo? wtf?