Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Time release fertilizers

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Chris, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

Anybody know of a box store source of nutricote?

2. Clark

Clark Gator Member

Use Dynomite (sp) from Home Depot or Lowes. It's the same thing.

3. Chris

Chris New Member

Thanks Clark!

4. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Anglican Supporting Member

Get whatever is labelled for six month or longer. Nine month if you can find it. The pellets are more resilient (obviously) and less succeptible to dumping all their contents at once when a certain trigger temperature is reached, as is the case with osmacote and similar. Not much of a problem if you only grow in tanks or indoors, but for outdoor growing plants, it can be an issue.

5. Chris

Chris New Member

Thanks for the info, MrBreeze. The dumping problem is one of the reasons I was looking for Nutricote.

6. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

I don't know why they call them "time-" or "controlled-release" fertilizers. As Mr Breeze said, they're temperature-release fertilizers.

The polymer coatings' permeability changes with temperature. If you grow indoors for the winter, but outside in the summer, and want to keep up a more-or-less steady feeding rate year round, go with the shorter-duration stuff in winter (more permeable), and longer-duration stuff in summer, as I'd bet the average temperature indoors in winter is still cooler than that outdoors in summer. You don't really know what does your applying, but it does give you a tiny bit of control.

I'm sure it's a matter of personal choice, but I prefer the control that water soluble fertilizers give me.

7. Forrest

Forrest Really Neat

I agree with Ray. If you want to be sure of what you are feeding them, you should be using a water soluble fertilizer.

8. Tom_in_PA

Tom_in_PA I am not an addict

I only use the time release stuff in the couple terresterials I grow (Pleione formosana and Pterostylis curta) I mix just a little bit in the soil when I plant them so when it is time to start watering them again they will be feed everytime as they seem to be heavy feeders while in active growth and have done very well for me so far.

I found my Pterostylis curta appear to be spiking this morning :D

9. Chris

Chris New Member

Thanks Tom. This would be for some plants growing in sphag.