Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Vanda lamellata × Vanda Memoria (Mem.) Thianchai

Discussion in 'Orchid Hybrids' started by gjanick, Feb 9, 2024.

1. gjanick

gjanick Active Member

I am fortunate to have found this seller in Thailand. He too labels and ID's his plants. But he is selling this hybrid with 5 different variations. This variation he appropriately named in Thai 'Yellow with white edges'.

I ordered only one plant, but he sent me two-- very nice.

This V. lamellata x V. Mem. Thianchai looks quite different from others I researched on the internet. So I think it is appropriate that he named this plant with a variation ID.

Attached Files:

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

V. lamellata x V. Mem. Thianchai is the name of the parents of the cross. Were you looking at images of others of this cross?

3. gjanick

gjanick Active Member

I think the pictures I attached are pictures of the cross. So is this plant really an unnamed hybrid cross?

4. Arne

Arne Active Member

Actually a cross between V. lamellata and Mem. Thianchai was registered as Vanda M. V. Tannins in 2018.

You can look it up with pictures in Orchidroots.

5. gjanick

gjanick Active Member

Thanks Arne. I did see this. However, my plants do not look at all like Vanda M. V. Tannins. So, how should I label or name my two plants? I would appreciate your suggestion.

6. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

It might very well be M V Tannins, made with alba or aurea cultivars.

The lip structure can be quite diagnostic. It's hard to say from your photos, but if the lip is structured like this one, the odds of a true ID increase - not to 100%, but better than just guessing. MVTannins.png

gjanick likes this.
  7. Arne

Arne Active Member

Based on the large variability between flowers of a bunch of seedlings, it can very well be M. V. Tannins. As Ray is pointing out, the key features should be there though.

I would have labeled it as M.V Tannins for now but I would also have put a question mark for my own records. But also talk to the vendor about your concerns.

gjanick likes this.
  8. Arne

Arne Active Member

Also, there are different varieties of lamellata, e. g var. remediosa and var. boxallii, and then comes the alba forms.

gjanick likes this.
  9. gjanick

gjanick Active Member

I have uploaded a close-up of my plant and uploaded the picture that Ray entered of the M.V. Tannins. To me, the colors are similar yet different. But the lip structure of my plant is very much like M.V. Tannins. So I will change the name of my plant to M.V. Tannins variation 'yellow with white edges'.

The first picture in this reply is the picture of M.V. Tannins that Ray found and the 2nd picture is that of my plant. I split my screen with the two pictures and the structures are very similar, especially the lips.

Thank You Arne and Ray!!!!

Attached Files:

10. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

First, in such a case as this, where different color varieties may have been used, the colors are irrelevant. However - and we'd need an in-focus photo to be sure - I think I see distinct differences in the lip.

11. gjanick

gjanick Active Member

Thanks Ray. I am attaching 5 different pictures. I hope one is clear enough for you to analyze. Also, I took the pictures from different angles, light, and different locations at my house, explaining the differences in the color and flower.

Attached Files:

12. Arne

Arne Active Member

The lip doesn’t have the “horns” that I can see in the picture of MV Tannins that Ray posted. On the other hand, the horns are absent or at least insignificant in a couple of pictures of MV Tannins in Orchidroots as well. I don’t think you can be sure of the ID unless the vendor can prove it.

Marni likes this.
  13. gjanick

gjanick Active Member

Thanks Arnie for taking the time.